A new, comprehensive and clean standard for online payment processing
Manager, Technical Program Management
Stripe makes it easy for any developer to access and manage the capabilities of the financial system including global payments, banking, and other innovative financial services. We’re looking for a Manager to lead the team of Technical Program Managers that support a wide variety of products across Stripe.
As a manager of a team of TPMs, you will support your team members in leading cross-functional initiatives spanning product teams throughout the organization. You will focus on developing careers, setting guidelines and sharing best practices, and providing hands-on coaching and mentorship for your reports. You will also act as a TPM on cross-cutting projects yourself as needed.
This role is based in our San Francisco Stripe office.
You may be a fit for this role if:
- You are excited about managing and growing a set of individuals, potentially across multiple locations, including providing performance reviews, continual feedback, coaching, and career growth.
- You have partnered with engineering leaders to set the strategy of an overall group.
- You are not satisfied with just delivering a program on time—you are discerning about product quality and obsessed with product impact.
- You have led the delivery of important company-wide, software engineering initiatives.
- You can easily interface with Engineering and business owners for requirements and scope.
- You have a track record of providing program management during all phases of an engineering program: ideation, design, development, testing and release.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills.
A strong candidate will have a number of these qualifications:
- 3+ years of management experience, preferably with a globally distributed team.
- 2+ years of working in payments or FinTech.
- 3+ years of software engineering, systems engineering or technical product/program management experience.
- Experience in finding and growing talent through coaching, mentoring, and career development conversations.
- Experience operating autonomously and leading across multiple teams, with stakeholders in different disciplines across time zones.
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking and thought leadership.
- Analytical and problem-solving experience with large-scale systems.
- Experience working on products with a global footprint.
Nice to haves:
- Experience as a founder of a startup or technology-based business.
- Payments ecosystem experience.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people from various backgrounds with broad technical skills. Stripes take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and empowering entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We contribute to open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues well. The kind of people who commit to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a diverse organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
We offer comprehensive mental, physical, and medical health plans, supporting Stripes’ financial futures, providing fertility benefits and parental leave.
A principled approach to food
Our food program work with local ingredients and grows a global team through sustainable food practices and minimal waste.
Growth by the way of learning
We are voracious learners and teachers. Our Education team delivers an onboarding and product training curriculum for all new Stripes, and hosts expert-led courses on things like project management fundamentals and macroeconomics.
Stripe at a glance
Stripe focuses on Internet, SaaS, Payments, Developer APIs, and Software. Their company has offices in New York City, San Francisco, New York, Chicago, and Seattle. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Stripe has raised $838M of funding; their latest round was closed on September 2019 at a valuation of $35B.