Stream provides an API for building and scaling activity feeds and chat
Backend Software Engineer (Go) - Amsterdam€60k – €80k • 0.0% – 0.1%
We are looking for a backend software engineer to join our development team in Amsterdam (onsite). Job duties will include working on Stream's core API technology, design and build high-performance software.
What you will be doing
Most of your day will be dedicated to software design, research, and coding. On typical projects, you will have a lot of freedom and you will be paired with another team member. Our team is made up of very experienced engineers, some with more than 10 years of experience. By working together you will learn from each other along the way. You will have an enormous impact on making our API service faster, more scalable and more flexible.
- Proficiency in Go or you are a Senior backend developer willing and able to learn quickly
- 5+ years as a backend developer
- Experience with high traffic and high performance applications
- Good knowledge of relational databases
- Experience with building HTTP APIs
- Experience managing your own projects and work in a team
Working at Stream, you will add new features to the service and find ways to make the existing ones perform orders of magnitude faster. Our customers have millions of users; they use Stream for mission critical features such as showing content and exposing core functionality of their application. Building stable and reliable software is not just an option: as a member of the development team, you will design and write state-of-the-art software, follow best practices, measure everything and be responsible for deployment to production. You will also spend part of your time talking to our customers and help them to use Stream in their app.
- Distributed databases: we built our own data store for feeds and for chat
- Real-time messaging
- High performance: our API responses are in the 10ms range
- High scalability: we use sharding, master-master, and master-slave to ensure scalability
- High availability: our entire infrastructure is designed and operated to survive entire datacenter crashes
- Multi-region: we deploy our service on 4 different continents
Our tech stack
At Stream we use a wide collection of technologies to offer highly optimized and available features to our customers. Over the years we have experimented with different programming languages, frameworks, databases, and libraries. Here is a short list of the technology that we currently use. Do not worry if you do not master them all or if you do not see your favorite tool or language, you will have the chance to be exposed to most and to convince us to expand the list:
- Go, gRPC, RocksDB, Python
- Postgresql, RabbitMQ
- AWS, Puppet, CloudFormation
- Grafana, Graphite, ELK, Jaeger
- Redis, Memcached
What we have to offer you
Stream employees enjoy some of the best benefits in the industry:
- A competitive salary
- Company equity
- A team of exceptional engineers
- The chance to work on OSS projects
- MacBook Pro or other development setup
- Healthy team lunches and plenty of snacks
- A generous relocation package
- An office in the heart of Amsterdam
- The opportunity to attend or present to global conferences and meetups
- The possibility to visit our office in Boulder, CO
Stream has a casual social culture, our team is diverse and we all have different backgrounds. Our Amsterdam team is very focused: you will see us heads down coding or drawing complex charts on whiteboards, until we pop up to have a chat or play merciless games of ping pong.
Our talented developers are highly technical and collaborative, which makes Stream a great place to learn and improve your skills. When it comes to software engineering our culture is oriented towards ownership and quality: our goal is to deliver stable software.
If you are interested in becoming a part of what we do, apply now!
Meet your team
Stream at a glance
Stream focuses on SaaS, Cloud Computing, Machine Learning, Big Data, and Chat. Their company has offices in Boulder and Amsterdam. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Stream has raised $5.25M of funding; their latest round was closed on August 2017.