Clothing hand selected by our expert stylists for your own unique size & style
Data Scientist - Inventory Modeling and Forecasting
About the Team
At Stitch Fix, our data science team combines machine learning with expert human judgment to generate innovative recommendations and insights that transform the way our clients discover what they love. We believe in a curiosity-driven data science culture where members have autonomy to deliver impact through end-to-end, full-stack product development and ownership.
The diversity of the problems that we work on and the data-rich environment of our business make it possible, even essential, to bring the tools of multiple disciplines to bear on our hardest problems. As a $2B+ company, our growing international business is looking for data scientists and leaders to join us in the revolutionization of retail.
Our Inventory Modeling and Forecasting team leverages our unique data, business model and novel machine learning methods to estimate future inventory positions and business outcomes. We’ve built a unified platform for inventory models and forecasts, which power all algorithmic inventory management and operational decisions here at Stitch Fix. We identify opportunities for enhancing the forecasting system through close, cross-functional collaborations and acquiring a detailed understanding of the business and data science applications. The team develops models to capture various elements of our business, such as stylist selection and client purchasing behaviors, or the incorporation of human-in-the-loop judgements.
Inventory forecasting solutions ensure better products and user experiences, and are critical for the future success of our international business. This is an exciting time to tackle the unique forecasting challenges that arise in our innovative business model.
About the Role
As a Data Scientist on our team, you will develop critical models of Stitch Fix’s inventory dynamics, deepening our understanding of how to best leverage inventory so our clients can find what they love. When new product offerings unlock more ways for clients to interact with inventory, you will research how each iteration affects inventory health, and guide the business on opportunities for improved outcomes.
In partnership with other data science and business leaders, you will identify opportunities and contribute to the implementation of forecasting solutions to drive impact of both existing and new product verticals. You will interface with our data platform team to leverage tools and build general frameworks to ensure scale and reliability of those solutions.
You're excited about this opportunity because you will...
- Partner with a diverse set of data scientists and business leaders to identify strategic opportunities and ongoing innovations for inventory-based forecasts at the company
- Build modeling and quantitative forecasting solutions in conjunction with expert qualitative information to predict business outcomes and capture uncertainties.
- Develop in Python, Spark, R, Presto, Airflow, Git, CircleCI, etc.
- Form meaningful partnerships with our bright and kind business partners, data scientists, and data platform groups.
We're excited about you because...
- You have worked with teams to build production systems for a diverse set of users
- You can look holistically at systems and architectures to decide what to improve, replace, and remove.
- You have a broad knowledge of machine learning approaches, with particular exposure to forecasting methods, and can be pragmatic when implementing solutions.
- You have exceptional coding and design skills in Python in a production environment
- You are willing to challenge the status quo to propose improvements, and are creative and forward thinking when developing solutions
- You have strong cross-functional communication skills and enjoy gathering input from stakeholders
- You have a M.S. or Ph.D. in a quantitative field such as Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Statistics, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Operations Research, etc.
Why You'll Love Working at Stitch Fix
- We are a group of people who are bright, kind and motivated by challenge. You can be your authentic self here
- We are a successful, fast-growing company at the forefront of tech and fashion, redefining retail for the next generation
- We are a technologically and data-driven business
- We are committed to our clients and connected through our vision of “Transforming the way people find what they love”
- We love solving problems, thinking creatively and trying new things
- We believe in autonomy & taking initiative
- We are challenged, developed and have meaningful impact
- We take what we do seriously. We don’t take ourselves seriously
- We have a smart, experienced leadership team that wants to do it right & is open to new ideas
- We offer competitive compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits
- You will be proud to say that you work for Stitch Fix and will know that the work you do brings joy to our clients every day
About Stitch Fix
Stitch Fix is an online personal style service for men and women combining art and science to disrupt and redefine the retail industry. We’re the first fashion retailer to blend expert styling, proprietary technology and unique product to deliver a refined and deeply personalized shopping experience. We leverage vast amounts of client data to make decisions throughout the company. All of this results in a simple, powerful offering to our customers and a successful, growing business. We believe we are only scratching the surface of our opportunity; and we’re looking for incredible people to contribute! We’d love for you to help us carry on the trend.
Comprehensive medical, dental & vision benefits
Competitive parental leave
Competitive market-driven pay & company equity for eligible roles
Unlimited vacation for qualified roles
Leadership, managing people program, career journey & other training opportunities
Enjoy 40% off of Fixes plus access to quarterly sample sales
Stitch Fix at a glance
Stitch Fix focuses on E-Commerce, Retail, and Fashion. Their company has offices in San Francisco, Austin, and Pittsburgh. They have a very large team that's 5000+ employees. To date, Stitch Fix has raised $84.351M of funding; their latest round was closed on November 2017.