Private, Secure Communication
Distributed Networking Engineer$80k – $100k
Status is the gateway to the decentralized web. We’re building the tools and infrastructure for the advancement of a secure, private, and open web3. With the high level goals of preserving the right to privacy, mitigating the risk of censorship, and promoting economic trade in a transparent, open manner, Status is building a community where anyone is welcome to join and contribute.
As an organization, Status seeks to push the web3 ecosystem forward through research, creation of developer tools, and support of the open source community. Our core application, currently in beta on Mobile and Desktop, is an open source, Ethereum-based app that gives users the power to chat, make payments and browse the decentralized web.
Who are we?
We're a remote team made up of 60+ core-contributors and a growing community of members scattered around the globe. We care deeply about open source software, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization's priorities.
You’ll work within Dagger, a small and collegiate team of leading specialists designing and implementing the next generation of distributed storage solutions. Dagger's work is invaluable as it meets the storage requirements for both our flagship Status app chat client, but also is hugely prized by the Ethereum ecosystem at large. You'll be developing ground-breaking and sought-after solutions to complex problems.
We'd love to hear from you if you're interested in message propagation in loosely connected networks, DHTs, gossiping, and routing mechanisms. Even better if you have experience with massively distributed systems and off the shelf networking stacks such as libp2p or devp2p.
- Write and maintain Nim code.
- Research and design core functionality.
- Provide feedback on overall design decisions and participate in code reviews.
- Use libp2p to build application level protocols.
Ideally you will have:
[Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role!]
- Passion for blockchain technology and decentralisation.
- Strong academic or engineering background, allowing you to interpret and implement solutions based on academic research.
- Experience with:
- Low level/strongly typed languages (C/C++/Go/Rust or Java/C#).
- Building networking heavy applications and p2p networking specifically.
- Understanding of:
- P2p building blocks such as gossiping, routing and discovery (DHTs), Nat traversal.
- TCP and UDP protocols.
- Encryption and key exchange mechanisms.
Bonus points if you have:
- Contributed to a blockchain-related, open source project.
- Worked on storage and file systems.
- Experience in any of the following:
- Libp2p / devp2p
The hiring process for this role will be:
- Interview with Pepper from our People Ops team
- Interview with Dmitriy, Dagger team lead
- Technical challenge / peer interview with Zahary from our broader research team
- Final interview with our Head of Research, Jacek.
The steps may change along the way if we see it makes sense to adapt the interview stages, so please consider the above as a guideline.
Please note that although we don't have an urgent hiring need for this role, we're always interested to hear from talented candidates that fit this profile. As such, we welcome applications on a rolling basis. Please kindly let us know in your application if your candidacy has any time sensitivity. We'll be in touch if we think there's potential for a good fit.
Share in our success
Everyone gets a stake in our success through the Status Network Token. You'll be given an amount of SNT, vesting over a 3 year period. Unlike traditional equity, if you wish you can sell SNT on the open market as soon as you receive it.
Have total autonomy to work from wherever you want, whenever you want.
We have a recommend minimum number of days you should take off, but no maximum!
We provide every contributor with a Headspace (https://www.headspace.com/) account to support their well-being.
All pets welcome!
Work from wherever you like - alone, or with an office companion 🐾
We have team budgets for travel to conferences, and at least once per year we all get together in person. Last year, we went to Bangkok and Prague.
We offer a small allowance (up to €250 Euros per month) for a people to rent a co-working space (or just expense a few coffees if you want to get out of the office and work from a coffee shop).
Status at a glance
Status focuses on Open Source, Security, Messaging, Privacy, and Bitcoin. Their company has offices in Singapore, United States, London, Germany, and Switzerland. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Status has raised $100M of funding; their latest round was closed on June 2017.