Private, Secure Communication
Software Engineer - Nim (Ethereum Implementation)$80k – $120k • 0.1% – 0.1%
*About Status *
Status is the gateway to the decentralised web. We’re building the tools and infrastructure for the advancement of a secure, private, and open web3. With the high level goals of preserving the right to privacy, mitigating the risk of censorship, and promoting economic trade in a transparent, open manner, Status is building a community where anyone is welcome to join and contribute.
As an organization, Status seeks to push the web3 ecosystem forward through research, creation of developer tools, and support of the open source community. Our core application, currently in beta on Mobile and Desktop, is an open source, Ethereum-based app that gives users the power to chat, make payments and browse the decentralized web.
Who are we?
We're a remote team made up of 60+ core-contributors and a growing community of members scattered around the globe. We care deeply about open source software, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization's priorities.
Project / Role
You'll be joining our research project Nimbus: https://nimbus.team//
Nimbus is a research project and a client implementation for Ethereum 2.0 designed to perform well on embedded systems and personal mobile devices, including older smartphones with resource-restricted hardware.
You'll contribute to the development of all components required for a fully featured Ethereum 2.0 implementation - from the network protocols implementing the Web 3.0 stack to the inner working of the Ethereum virtual machine and its supporting development tools.
We’re looking for a junior engineer who can support the Nimbus project team by:
- Maintaining the Nimbus product as it gets deployed
- Handle the day-to-day contact with users of Nimbus
- Own quality-oriented tasks for the team
You must have:
- A passion for our principles: https://our.status.im/our-principles/
- Experience with Rust or C/C++, and curiosity about dynamic languages
- Background in (embedded) systems programming, p2p technologies, familiarity with modern cryptography.
- Comfortable working in a remote team.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Bonus points if:
- Ideally, you’ll have some Nim/Rust/C++ related GitHub projects to make it easier for us to evaluate your skills.
- Basic knowledge of the lexing, parsing and semantic checking passes applicable to a compiler
- Experience with Nim.
The anticipated salary range for this role is $60,000 - $80,000 USD (paid in local currency, or crypto, and dependent on experience & location), plus a grant of 800,000 Status Network Tokens vesting over a three-year period. More info on SNT here here: https://status.im/snt-utility/
The hiring process for this role will be:
- Interview with Shiraz from our People Ops team
- Interview with Zahary from the Nimbus team
- Interview with Jacek, the Nimbus team lead.
The steps may change along the way if we see it makes sense to adapt the interview stages, so please consider the above as a guideline. We’re looking for the new developer (you?) to join the team as soon as possible, and we’re hoping to close the hiring process ideally by the end of March 2020.
Get to know us
Find out about the Nimbus team: https://nimbus.team/#team
Questions about this role?
Feel free to drop your questions on this Discuss thread and we’ll get them answered here