Internet service from another galaxy. Using next-gen tech to beam lightning-fast internet
System Software Validation Engineer$80k – $100k • 0.0% – 0.01%
The Systems Integration and Validation team plays a key role in the development of Starry’s technology. SIV Engineers provide three main functions:
- Software feature validation and regression testing: SIV engineers are involved in the design of each new feature in our products. We participate in each sprint with Software, Firmware, and other engineering teams. We develop automated regression tests that run against nightly and milestone releases of our system software.
- Full system validation and verification tester development: SIV engineers design and create automated testers to validate system requirements during the prototype and development stages. We also design and create test automated testers to verify functionality of each unit at manufacturing time. This work involves understanding the operation of the complete system in order to be able to configure and analyze all parameters and execute usage scenarios.
- System performance optimization and issue investigation: SIV engineers leverage expertise in software, networking, electronics, and communications systems to investigate critical performance and functional issues. This work draws on the strengths of the entire SIV team and has produced many significant enhancements to our products.
What you’ll do:
- Write software to validate product requirements.
- Design, develop, and execute automated test cases.
- Evaluate product and feature specifications and requirements.
- Quantify system reliability, scalability, load and throughput.
- Design, develop, and extend custom SW test frameworks and test beds.
- Develop automation wrappers for off the shelf test equipment.
- Creatively leverage devices such as Raspberry Pi’s, NUC’s to solve problems.
- Refine software testing methodologies and quality standards.
- Communicate test details, result summaries, and status of releases.
Bonus points if..
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Electrical/Computer Engineering or other related discipline
- 3-5 years (or more) in Systems Integration/Validation roles or similar (e.g. Development, QA)
- Proficiency with Python, Networking, Wifi, Bash, Linux
- Experience with source control and defect tracking systems (Github, Jira, etc.)
Double points if..
- Experience with wireless communications protocols and analysis via Wireshark or equivalent
- Experience with C/C++ or Rust
- Knowledge of IEEE 802.11n/ac/ax, 3G/4G/5G wireless communications standards and protocols
- Experience with electronics and related test equipment (e.g. Oscilloscope)
- Experience with RF systems concepts and related test equipment (e.g. Spectrum Analyzer)
- Inclination to tinker with electronics, e.g. Raspberry PI, custom Android ROMs, etc.
Medical, dental, & vision, no employee contribution required
12 weeks of paid maternal and paternal leave
Generous PTO and paid holidays
Catered breakfast spread from local favorites every Monday
Wine, beer, and snacks in the office
Free gym & secure bike storage in our Boston office
Pre-tax commuter benefits for more take-home pay
Starry at a glance
Starry focuses on Hardware, Internet, Telecommunications, Wireless, and Internet of Things. Their company has offices in Los Angeles, New York City, New York, Boston, and Denver. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Starry has raised $130M of funding; their latest round was closed on July 2018.