Predicting the progression of disease & clinical risk of people with chronic illnesses
Algorithm Research Engineer
Spry Health’s mission is to build the world’s largest physiological dataset to map human health, understand disease, and create new medical knowledge. We are innovating in the field of physiological signal processing and are looking for an experienced and motivated researcher to join our talented R&D team. The Research Engineer will take big responsibilities on our core science team and break new ground in health monitoring technology through physiological signal processing. We are the first to collect continuous physiological signals from thousands of patients.
This is an opportunity to step into a highly innovative healthcare startup and make real-world impact. Our dataset contains important information that would be a building block in medicine and physiological monitoring, discovering new physiological biomarkers that will help us combat disease. Working with physiological signals from users who are going about their daily life is very challenging—we have made significant progress but are looking for someone who will take our team to the next level. You’ll get the opportunity to design and execute experiments with medical grade reference devices both in-house and with high profile clinical partners around the country and internationally. As a Spry Algorithm Engineer you will get exposed to all aspects of the business and have a chance to leverage the benefits of a small, cohesive, cross-functional team.
This role is for you if you’re an independent individual eager to share your expertise as well as learn from our small team of world-class experts and engineers. You’re ready to dive into the enormous set of physiological data we’ve collected and lead your own projects combining signal processing, statistical modeling, and data analysis. You’re excited to face engineering challenges that have yet to be solved. Together we will invent brand-new technologies that will make a difference in peoples’ lives.
As a member of the Algorithms Team, you will...
- Develop algorithms to extract vitals from physiological signals
- Solve estimation and filtering problems to remove artifacts from motion and other sources of interference
- Statistically model and analyze hardware, signal chain, and algorithm performance
- Create new sensor architectures
- Learn about physiology, medicine, and new technical concepts through regular seminars with the rest of the team
Qualifications and Requirements
- PhD or Master’s with research experience in Engineering, Physics, Applied Physics, Math, Statistics, Computer Science, or related fields
- Experience working with low SNR signals, and parameter extraction in the presence of noise
- Strong foundation in math and statistics
- Proficient in Python and source control (Git)
- Interest in physiology or biology
- Ability to work independently with minimal input on broad project goals
- Eager to learn and excited to tackle unfamiliar engineering challenges with rigorous, analytical approaches
- Strong critical thinker, active listener, and great communicator
- Capacity to take work seriously while not taking oneself seriously—sense of humor is compulsory
Spry Health is transforming medical practices by providing remote care solutions for patients with chronic illness. Our FDA-cleared wearable device is the first to deliver predictive insights to healthcare organizations through continuous vital sign monitoring.
Spry’s lean team is comprised of some of the brightest minds in Silicon Valley. We are committed to empowering patients by preventing hospital admissions and reducing medical spending, making our workplace a great fit for those ready to take ownership of challenging and meaningful work.
Ambition to fundamentally change how people interact with healthcare is a prerequisite for your success at Spry. If you are collaborative, humble, resourceful, passionate about healthcare innovation, and looking for opportunities to grow and succeed, we want to hear from you. Bonus points if you enjoy puns, good coffee, and cooking challenges (because we do).
Spry Health is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Annual Salary Range: $100,000 - $135,000
Equity Range: 0.10 - 0.25%
This is a full-time position in Palo Alto, CA.
Remote work is not an option at this time.