Revolutionizing access to space
Senior Composite Design Engineer (Structures)
A Day in the Life of
You will help change the landscape of the small-sat industry, be an integral and unique part of a close-knit team of individuals operating in an innovative, fast-paced environment, changing the fundamental fabric of how humanity puts things into space. As a Senior Composite Design Engineer (Structures), you will be responsible for collaborating with the engineering and manufacturing teams to accurately define mechanical requirements, design laminate schedules, analyze structures, and produce manufacturing drawings to bring a state-of-the-art composite project from concept to reality. This is a full-time position located at our new Long Beach, CA facility.
- Provide technical expertise in the definition, design, analysis, and manufacturing of large composite structures
- Design large composite structures by collaborating with process and manufacturing engineers to accurately define mechanical requirements, design laminate schedules, analyze structures, produce built-to manufacturing drawings, and drive quality assurance standards
- Use CAD, FEA, programming environments, and spreadsheets to develop and design a variety of system critical hardware, develop innovative methods for design and analysis of large composite structures
- Creation of structural test plans which will be used to verify manufacturing processes meet design intent and requirements
- Manage the design of hardware, the acquisition of required materials, and the instruction of assembly and testing in a fast-paced environment where the implementation of other systems is dependent on the completion of your tasks
- Effectively convey ideas and communicate technical topics with engineering, manufacturing, and operations
- Anticipate needs, identify problems, think creatively, and rapidly produce reliable and cost-effective solutions to meet the ever growing and changing needs of SpinLaunch’s research and development efforts
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering or in “STEM” related majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
- 5+ years of professional experience in composite structures design and development
- Experience in designing the primary and secondary load paths for large composite structures (e.g. Wind Energy, Racing Yachts, Commercial Aircraft and Aerospace Vehicles)
- Composites Theory Subject Mater Expert (Constitutive Relations, Micromechanics, Laminated Plate Theory and Fracture Mechanics Concepts)
- High proficiency in CAD modelling and development of built-to drawings
- Proficient in FEA (ANSYS, or equivalent), FEMAP and MATLAB
- Knowledgeable on basic theory of structural dynamics
- Hands-on experience with fabricating parts such as filament winding or vacuum-assisted resin transfer molding "VARTM" preferred
- Experience analyzing composite structures under dynamic loads
- Experience in advanced mechanical systems beyond composites, including metal structures, mechanisms, dynamics, etc.
- Strong history of the design and implementation of large composite structures as solutions to challenging engineering requirements
SpinLaunch is required by the U.S. Government to comply with various space technology export regulations including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident (“green card holder”) as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15). More information on ITAR can be found here.
SpinLaunch is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Each individual has the right to work in a professional environment that promotes equal employment opportunity and prohibits discriminatory practices, including harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
SpinLaunch at a glance
SpinLaunch focuses on Manufacturing, Aerospace, and Space Travel. Their company has offices in Los Angeles. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees.
You can view their website at http://spinlaunch.com/