Dockless shared electric scooters for cities and campuses
Head of Data
Spin operates electric scooters in cities and campuses nationwide, bringing sustainable last-mile mobility solutions to diverse communities. Recognized for its consistent cooperation and collaboration with cities, Spin partners closely with transportation planners, elected officials, community groups, and university administrators to bring stationless mobility options to streets in a responsible and carefully orchestrated manner.
Based in San Francisco, Spin is a diverse team of engineers, designers, urban planners, policymakers, lawyers and operators with experience from Y Combinator, Lyft, Uber, local and federal government, and the transportation advocacy world. Spin was known for launching the first stationless mobility program in Seattle, and has since expanded to become the exclusive electric scooter partner in mid-sized cities like Coral Gables, Florida and Lexington, Kentucky, and one of a few permitted scooter operators in large cities like Denver, Detroit, and Washington, D.C. The team embeds in cities and neighborhoods to understand their specific transportation needs, and hires locally from the community.
Spin is expanding quickly and looking for top-tier talent to help us bring affordable and accessible transportation options to cities and define what future safe streets will look like.
About the Role
Spin is in search of the most creative and experienced leaders. We embrace entrepreneurs as well as those who come from more established organizations. Data leaders are clearly characterized by progressive technical experience and demonstrated progression in management responsibility. You have also kept your technical skills sharp and bring an unwavering passion for managing the dynamics of a fast-paced environment.
At Spin, Data is a specialized and cross functional team comprised of Data Scientists, Analysts and Engineers. Data is responsible for building data products by collaborating with Product, Engineering, Operation, Growth, Marketing, Finance and Business teams to drive decision-making informed by data.
Our team consists of people that are passionate about creating finely polished and intuitive experiences and, at the same time, obsess over performance and reliability of what we build. We challenge the status quo and strive towards finding the best way to solve problems.
We work in very small groups to keep processes and overhead low, so we have a lot of trust and accountability to perform the work required to build the best product.
* Be a highly technical Director with deep experience in ML, analytics and engineering(plus)
* Drive development of data insights and machine learning models to optimize operations, user experience and business model
* Hold your own in technical discussions, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
* Present data hypotheses, insights, predictions and strategy to the executive team and broader organization
* Define and drive development of an aggressive technical roadmap to meet the needs of the team, and partner teams
* Operate in a rapidly evolving environment, adapting quickly to new information and re-prioritizing as needed
* Manage data analysts, scientist, engineers, and managers working to build, scale, and deploy all data solutions
* Own the process to build and maintain a well-oiled data team
* Partner closely with Product, Engineering, Operation, Growth, Marketing, Finance and Business teams
* Be an effective people manager
* Help team members and managers develop their careers, assigning them to projects tailored to their skill levels, long-term skill development, personalities, and work styles
* Assess employee performance frequently, address under-performance, and recognize and promote excellent performance
* Work closely with dedicated recruiting staff to expand the team, including sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences/events, and onboarding new employees
* Communicate cross-functionally and drive data efforts
* 10+ years of relevant work experience in data science, analytics or engineering, including 5+ years experience managing data science, analytics, or engineering teams
* MS or PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, Economics or a related quantitative field
* Strong background in ML, statistics, analysis and engineering(plus)
* Process oriented and results driven
* Experience in recruiting and managing technical teams, including performance management and managing managers/engineers/analysts/scientists
Benefits & Perks
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and help shape and establish the company’s industry leadership
- Competitive health benefits
- Daily catered lunch in our SF office
- Unlimited PTO for salaried roles
- Commuter stipend plus pre-tax benefits
- Monthly cell phone bill stipend
-Wellness perk for salaried roles
Spin is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment in an unlawful matter. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all individuals. Spin treats all employees and job applicants on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence without regard to any qualified individuals' sex, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, marital status, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Spin also considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable local, state, and federal law.
Spin is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in its job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Paid time off
Cell phone reimbursement
Spin - Electric Scooter Sharing at a glance
Spin - Electric Scooter Sharing focuses on Mobile, Transportation, and Apps. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Spin - Electric Scooter Sharing has raised $8M of funding; their latest round was closed on November 2018.