Revolutionizing space technology
Test Software Engineer (Satellites)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
TEST SOFTWARE ENGINEER (SATELLITES)
SpaceX services a diverse range of clients and their payloads. Missions supporting scientific research, classified national security space, and commercial opportunities are all in work. As we expand our classified mission manifest, we are looking for electrical design managers to join our team.
As a Test Software Engineer, you will have the unique opportunity to design and develop test systems for all the electronic hardware on our satellites. This includes but is not limited to: flight computers, power conversion units, analog and digital circuit boards, and communication system units. You will be expected to create new test programs and solutions from the ground up, and your work will be the last line of defense before our vehicles get shipped out the door. Our fundamental goal is to allow humanity to explore the stars; with it comes extreme responsibility to ensure the safety and reliability or our satellites and payloads. Are you up for the challenge?
We’re looking for people who want to dive in and get their hands dirty and those who are not afraid to make important decisions and work to provide a data driven rationale. Every day we push the limits of what is possible through innovation, determination, and teamwork and we’re only just beginning.
- Design test solutions for flight hardware consisting of both in-house developed avionics hardware as well as commercial off the shelf components
- Develop modular, reusable test and automation software in Python and similar languages for manufacturing and engineering design verification
- Write automation software to interact with units under test, test equipment, instrumentation, and production documentation systems
- Develop custom automation solutions to engineering and manufacturing challenges using a combination of embedded electronics and innovative hardware
- Work closely with and consistently provide feedback to responsible design engineers, manufacturing engineers, and test lab teams to drive design or infrastructure improvements to increase product reliability and yield
- Define and implement project plans, manage milestones and hold reviews to assure reliable test systems are delivered to production
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering or computer science, electrical engineering or physics
- 3+ years of experience with hardware development or test software development
- 2+ years of programming experience using Python, LabVIEW, SQL, MATLAB, or Embedded C
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in an engineering discipline
- Knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems, RAID, VLANs, network security
- Experience with configuration management and source code control, such as Git and SVN
- Experience with Jenkins, PowerShell, Ansible, or Puppet for software deployment
- Experience developing graphical user interfaces for workplace applications
- Experience automating processes and testing to improve manufacturing yields and reduce production time
- Experience developing application, test, or automation software in an interdisciplinary environment
- Experience with RF test equipment including WiFi, Ku, Bluetooth, and GPS
- Extensive knowledge with a range of digital and analog interfaces including GPIB, USB, VISA, TCP/IP, VLAN, CAN bus, SPI, I2C, analog-to-digital conversion
- Understanding and experience in environmental testing such as vibration, shock, thermal, burn-in, TVAC and EMI/EMC
- Experience with HASS/HALT
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
SpaceX at a glance
SpaceX focuses on Manufacturing, Transportation, Aerospace, and Space Travel. Their company has offices in Washington, Hawthorne, Lompoc, McGregor, and Beale Air Force Base. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, SpaceX has raised $2.475B of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2019.
You can view their website at http://www.spacex.com