Revolutionizing space technology
Recovery Operations Engineer
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
RECOVERY OPERATIONS ENGINEER
- Assume operational engineering duties for SpaceX’s droneship fleet
- Lead a team of engineers and technicians performing offshore landing operations
- Perform troubleshooting, upgrades, and shore side system maintenance on droneship hardware
- Manage critical recovery hardware used for processing flown vehicles across multiple vessels and programs
- Identify areas of operational improvement & work with design teams to develop and implement innovative new solutions
- Develop work instructions to support ongoing operations, maintenance, repairs, and upgrades
- Gap fill personnel needs on other recovery operations which could include fairing, crew dragon, cargo dragon, or starship programs
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, aerospace, naval, marine, electrical or systems engineering
- 3+ years of experience building, maintaining, modifying, and operating complex mechanical and electrical hardware
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience troubleshooting and maintaining fluid systems and associated control hardware
- Experience operating, troubleshooting, and maintaining complex mechanical systems
- Experience operating and troubleshooting remote-operated ground control systems
- Experience in field installation, activation, and testing of RF systems
- Able to operate, troubleshoot, and improve complex data acquisition, instrumentation, and control systems
- Experience working with and troubleshooting programmable logic controllers
- Experience operating and troubleshooting high voltage electrical systems (4160V, 480V)
- Experience with electric and hydraulic propulsion systems
- Testing experience including: setting test objectives, writing test plans, and executing hands-on testing
- Experience with critical operations where real-time decision making affected success criteria
- Able to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Self-motivated and directed with keen attention to detail
- Ongoing drive for continuous improvement in all aspects of work
- Detail oriented, organized, and demonstrate a high sense of urgency
- Willing to work offshore for extended duration without access to emergency services normally available on shore
- Ability to support offshore operations averaging 7 or more days offshore per month
- Ability to climb ladders and work in tight/confined spaces
- Willing to work with hazardous materials
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings, climbing hand over hand, and lifting 25 lbs.
- Willing to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain, wind, open ocean
- Must be willing to travel
- Ability to operate heavy machinery
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral
- Ability to pass offshore physical fitness testing if required
- Position is subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
SpaceX at a glance
SpaceX focuses on Manufacturing, Transportation, Aerospace, and Space Travel. Their company has offices in Washington, Hawthorne, Lompoc, McGregor, and Beale Air Force Base. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, SpaceX has raised $1.2B of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2015.
You can view their website at http://www.spacex.com