Revolutionizing space technology
Space Operations Engineer, Operations Automation
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SPACE OPERATIONS ENGINEER, OPERATIONS AUTOMATION
Are you passionate about human spaceflight? Do you enjoy understanding workflows and simplifying complex processes to develop a finely tuned operation? We are looking for a collaborative engineer excited to take on the challenge of advancing the future of spaceflight by helping us launch faster and more regularly than ever before. As a Space Operations Engineer in the Interfaces and Automation group, you will shape the operations software, tools and real-time displays that define the way our orbital missions are executed. You will work directly with SpaceX engineers, operators, and flight crews to better understand their needs in order to create applications that anticipate and solve the important problems they face. With a significant focus on the simplicity of mission execution, your work will help revolutionize the way everyday spaceflight is conducted.
- Work directly with engineers, operators, and flight crews to understand inefficiencies, and streamline mission execution from mission preparation to real-time flight operations
- Develop the automation infrastructure and codebase to reduce operator workload during mission and enable fully autonomous spacecraft flight
- Build and maintain the primary tools and real-time interfaces used to execute regular spacecraft operations
- Own application life cycles including requirement definition, software development, documentation, test, maintenance, and continuous improvement
- Conduct goal-based task analyses and user stories to develop software requirements
- Drive design reviews and communicate functionality to engineers, operators, and flight crews
- Take part in console operations to achieve a first-hand look at problems and the effectiveness of solutions
- Develop production-quality code against aggressive timelines
- Bachelor’s degree in a computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline
- 3+ years of professional experience in web development or software engineering
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Extreme focus on continuous improvement of systems and opportunities for automation
- Experience with developing software tests and testing infrastructure
- Capability to maintain a first principles approach against imprecise problems and conflicting opinions
- Knowledge of cognitive engineering and user experience design principles
- Comfort with front-end and back-end frameworks such as Polymer and Docker
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Familiarity with launch vehicles or spacecraft systems
- Previous spacecraft engineering experience
- Previous experience with high risk decision making in time critical operational environments (e.g. Aviation, Scuba, Seamanship)
- Capacity to balance conflicting opinions and manage expectations between multiple teams
- Able to be flexible and adapt in a changing and fast-paced environment
- When necessary, must be willing to work long hours and weekends to support launch operations and critical project timelines
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
SpaceX at a glance
SpaceX focuses on Manufacturing, Transportation, Aerospace, and Space Travel. Their company has offices in Washington, Hawthorne, Lompoc, McGregor, and Beale Air Force Base. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, SpaceX has raised $1.2B of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2015.
You can view their website at http://www.spacex.com