Revolutionizing space technology
RF and Modem Integration Engineer
**RF AND MODEM INTEGRATION ENGINEER**
Play a critical role for integrating, testing and evaluating the functional performance, reliability and robustness of a complex satellite communication network. You will integrate the communication system components on satellite and ground station. You will explore, assess, track, and report performance status to project leaders. You will implement tools to conduct, track and improve testing processes and effectiveness. You will ensure that satellites and ground network provide the best possible communications system performance while also ensuring compliance with our operating licenses.
- Integrate and test satellite and ground broadband communications system components.
- Analyze and implement RF and modem components supporting satellites and ground stations.
- Design and deploy RF converters, integration and test equipment, auxiliary and ancillary equipment in support of integration lab and field testing.
- Develop link budgets and cascades for analyzing performance expectations based on fielded/implemented designs.
- Investigate discrepancies between expected and actual link performance through the analysis of operational data.
- Provide expertise in performance verification of modem system performance parameters.
- Understand and maintain regulatory requirements for satellite systems on a country basis.
- Development of integration/test scripts.
**BASIC QUALIFICATIONS:**** **
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or computer engineering.
- Experience with RF or radio design and communication.
**PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:**** **
- Master's degree in electrical engineering with emphasis in RF or radio communication.
- 5+ years of work experience.
- Previous experience in characterizing radio performance in Ku-band and Ka-bands.
- Previous experience in integrating advanced ground based and space based antennas.
- Communications systems design, or integration and test experience in Wi-Fi, cellular or satellite systems.
- Understanding of RF passive components such as hybrid couplers, Wilkinson dividers, waveguide, circulators, and directional couplers.
- Knowledge of digital communication systems, single and multi-carrier techniques and modulation types such as BPSK, QPSK, QAM, PCM/FM, APSK, SC-FDMA, OFDM and OFDMA.
- Experience in multiple access communication systems such as TDMA, CDMA and FDMA.
- Understanding of channel coding such as LDPC, turbo codes, Reed-Solomon or convolutional codes.
- Understanding of communication theory with emphasis on modulation, bit error rate, block error rate.
- Understanding of RF concepts such as AGC, noise figure, power amplifier, phase noise, PLL, oscillators/mixers.
- Experience in modeling RF and channel impairments such as multipath, phase noise, group delay, fading and nonlinear distortion.
- Python and/or LabVIEW programming experience for test automation.
- Experience in MATLAB, Python, C++ or equivalent tools for modeling and analyzing RF systems.
**ITAR REQUIREMENTS:**** **
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
SpaceX at a glance
SpaceX focuses on Manufacturing, Transportation, Aerospace, and Space Travel. Their company has offices in Washington, Hawthorne, Lompoc, McGregor, and Beale Air Force Base. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, SpaceX has raised $1.2B of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2015.
You can view their website at http://www.spacex.com