Keep conversations organized with Slack, the smart alternative to email
Sr. Data Scientist
Slack is hiring an experienced data scientist to join our Research & Analytics team. The Research & Analytics team focuses on understanding our customers' needs, identifying ways to improve the product, and finding opportunities to drive more adoption of Slack.
In this role, you will inform and influence decisions using data and research, by crafting our learnings into narratives and partnering with key decision makers within the company. You will be a strong partner to researchers with varying backgrounds, including user researchers, market researchers, and survey scientists.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Applying various data science methods to understanding the most important aspects of our product, users, and business.
- Organizing disparate facts and findings into powerful narratives that have the broadest possible application within Slack.
- Evangelizing evidence-based decision making by partnering with key decision makers and driving general accessibility of data and insights.
What you should have
- 5+ years of professional industry experience doing quantitative analysis. An advanced degree (MS, PhD) in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Economics, Physics) a plus.
- A consistent record of using data to drive product teams to achieve ambitious goals.
- Expert in at least one programming language for data analysis (e.g. Python, R).
- Expert in designing and testing experiments.
- Experience with statistical and machine learning methods to build descriptive and predictive models.
- Experience working with data technologies that allow effective storage and analysis of large amounts of data (e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Presto, S3, etc).
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Health & wellness
Full health coverage for you and your family (Slack pays 100% of your premiums), and a $150 monthly fitness and wellness reimbursement.
A lot of us have families, of all shapes and sizes and types, and we welcome each new addition with generous parental and new child bonding leave.
Learning & development
Receive $500 annually (or equivalent) towards a personal development opportunity of your choice, and $2000 annually (or equivalent) for professional development.
A meeting-light culture (or we try, at least), weekly massage therapy, guest speakers, and opportunities to get to know your team better through things like weekly catered lunch and breakfast, Thursday Socials, and game nights. But we don’t stay in the office 24/7.
Slack at a glance
Slack focuses on SaaS, Enterprise Software, Real Time, Messaging, and Collaboration. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Chicago. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Slack has raised $1.01B of funding; their latest round was closed on April 2019.