Keep conversations organized with Slack, the smart alternative to email
Sr. Engineering Manager, Infrastructure
We are rapidly scaling our Infrastructure and are solving interesting engineering challenges as we operate one of the world’s largest commercial Vitess installations, and build scalable edge services that product developers can easily leverage as part of their feature development. If you are passionate about building and operating highly reliable and performant distributed systems that form an essential component of the infrastructure which powers Slack, read on.
Infrastructure at Slack
We operate at tremendous scale with systems that process millions of events per second. Our team builds and maintains the scalable services deployed at the edge which enable highly responsive real-time messaging, type-ahead queries and file uploads/downloads.
We know we’ve done our job correctly when none of our users think about us. We don’t typically ship new user-facing features, but rather ensure our systems are incredibly performant, highly available, reliable, and scalable. In other words, Slack just works seamlessly.
We are a small team making a large impact. We rapidly iterate and work closely with other engineering teams to ensure new product features function at scale. We have a strong commitment to quality and understand that simplicity and reliability should be primary aspects of the systems that we build. We are ambitious, independent, and pragmatic.
A taste of our scale and reach:
- Users spend over 10 hours connected and 2+ hours active in Slack every work day.
- 10M+ Daily Active Users in more than 150 countries.
- 1.5 billion messages are sent per month, half of those outside the United States.
- Every day we see over 10 million simultaneously connected users, over 3.5 billion web requests, over 42 billion database queries per day, and our systems see over 1 million queries/second in our caching tier.
- We've launched initiatives like Flannel, Scaling Job Queue, Reducing Slack’s memory footprint, International Data Residency as well as scaling the Vitess data tier.
What you will be doing
- Defining, evolving and communicating the team’s vision, mission and strategy across Slack.
- Collaborating with Product and technical leaders to build a roadmap for your team and growing the team to execute on that roadmap.
- Cultivating a culture of excellence on the team through a focus on execution, quality and scale.
- Executing on teams deliverables in a timely and efficient manner.
- Implement effective engineering processes and policies.
- Set and fulfill the engineering hiring plan for the team, including sourcing, screening, and interviewing.
- Represent Slack engineering and management in industry events.
What you should have
- You have 5+ years of Engineering Management experience in building, managing and leading highly productive teams.
- You have substantial experience with distributed systems and competency in several topics fundamental to computer science: algorithms, data structures, databases, distributed systems, operating systems, and programming languages.
- You excel at building roadmaps and can develop a long-term team vision in partnership with other stakeholders.
- You possess exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- You are highly organized. With many people doing many things in a fast-moving company, strong organizational skills—both for yourself and for the team—will be required.
- You are able to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a fast-moving and quickly-growing company.
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Health & wellness
Full health coverage for you and your family (Slack pays 100% of your premiums), and a $150 monthly fitness and wellness reimbursement.
A lot of us have families, of all shapes and sizes and types, and we welcome each new addition with generous parental and new child bonding leave.
Learning & development
Receive $500 annually (or equivalent) towards a personal development opportunity of your choice, and $2000 annually (or equivalent) for professional development.
A meeting-light culture (or we try, at least), weekly massage therapy, guest speakers, and opportunities to get to know your team better through things like weekly catered lunch and breakfast, Thursday Socials, and game nights. But we don’t stay in the office 24/7.
Slack at a glance
Slack focuses on SaaS, Enterprise Software, Real Time, Messaging, and Collaboration. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Chicago. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Slack has raised $1.01B of funding; their latest round was closed on April 2019.