Senior Full Stack Developer$90k – $130k
Skylight is using technology to radically improve the home renovation process. We are a digital renovation service provider, helping homeowners with everything required for a successful renovation from design through construction. Including a guarantee that the project will be on budget.We acquire homeowners seeking to do a renovation, then leverage a digital model of the client’s home to do all the design and construction preparation to ensure a successful project. We partner with local contractors and guarantee a perfect delivery of their renovation.
*The Opportunity: *
The Skylight team is composed of talented problem solvers with the creativity and analytical skills to create unique solutions to highly complex problems. The team represents a combination of capable generalists, industry experts, and technologists collaborating to design and implement various aspects of the Skylight system.
Skylight is founded by a group of executives with extensive background founding and managing technology companies. Jasper Malcolmson, our CEO, sold his first company, Bloomspot, to JP Morgan Chase. Fiona Lake Waslander, Chief Product Officer, ran the Vicinity division at Rogers. Michael Gentili, Chief Technology Officer, was previously a senior technology leader at OANDA.
We are looking for a Senior Full Stack Developer to join our Platform Team to work on the company’s core web application that helps our operators deliver quality renovations and provides our clients with a modern home renovation experience. We are looking for a friendly professional who works well in a collaborative environment, who loves programming, enjoys problem solving, and can work independently in a remote team. You will partner and work together with product, UX/UI design, back-end, and front-end engineers to achieve common goals. This is a great opportunity to become involved in a positive, challenging, and creative remote work environment.
- Work with product, design, back-end, and front-end engineers to develop and maintain the company’s main web application
- Help define and improve our standards for a maintainable, modular, and healthy code base for both the frontend and backend
- Evaluate and advocate for improvements in product quality, performance, and security
- Solve technical problems of various levels of complexity
- Recommend and implement improvements to existing processes
- Write code and confidently ship features, bug fixes, and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members
- Make informed technology decisions
Skills and Qualifications:
- Solid knowledge of CSS and HTML
- Good SQL knowledge and knowledge of databases in general
- Familiarity with Linux and Git
- Experience designing and building REST API services
- Substantial understanding of software development fundamentals
- Understanding of good development practices like code reviews and testing
- Ability to adapt to changing technologies and requirements
- Curiosity toward learning new technologies
- Strong attention to detail
- Great communication skills
- Must have completed a Science or Engineering post secondary degree program
- Must have 5+ years industry experience
Nice to have
- Experience with Django
- Experience with React, Redux, Webpack, and Node.js
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience with Docker, Ansible, and Amazon AWS
- Experience working in a remote team
Working at Skylight
We occasionally work together in person in Toronto, but we primarily work remotely via video conference, which is a big part of how we remain highly productive across the team. You’ll be trained and mentored by other experienced team members both remotely and in person. Most importantly, you’ll have an opportunity to make substantial, formative contributions to the core of a young technology company. If that sounds like something you’d enjoy, this is the perfect opportunity for you!
- An opportunity to help build a rapidly growing company, backed by Silicon Valley venture capitalists, serving the massive U.S. home renovation market, BUT doing so from the comfort of Canada
- Choice of work location in the GTA
- Great colleagues. Our team is experienced, smart, hardworking and really nice.
- Training and mentoring from experienced managers and team mates
- Family friendly flexible hours
- An employer-paid benefits plan covering medical, dental and extended health benefits
- Early stage stock option grant
- Personal assistant support for both personal and business needs