The Platform For Competitive Mobile Games
Director of Business Development
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for a booming mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with access to fun and fair competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make esports accessible to anyone, anywhere.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 20,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host billions of casual esports tournaments for 30 million players worldwide.
Last year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Who we’re looking for:
Skillz is looking to hire experienced, highly skilled and motivated Business Development professionals to generate and maintain strategic partnerships. This role will report to the Vice President of Business Development. You will drive meaningful player acquisition for Skillz games through strategic partnerships by leveraging your network and ability to advance opportunities along a pipeline. You will work alongside cross-functional teams (Product, Legal, Finance, Leadership) to identify, execute and manage new distribution partnership opportunities. You are a person who is exceptionally skilled at building personal relationships and navigating complex organizations. You build trust easily and thrive in finding and establishing new business connections. You are thoughtful, personable and willing to do what it takes to successfully execute a partnership.
What You Will Do:
- Work with cross functional teams to identify new opportunities to expand the Skillz platform to acquire new players across specific verticals
- Identify and engage with key contacts and prospective partner organizations to define and craft new partnerships
- Work with existing Skillz partners within specific verticals to define, create and optimize player acquisition partnerships that generate meaningful user acquisition
- Manage a pipeline of potential and current opportunities
- Manage a small, but growing team of Business Development professionals
- Create accurate performance forecasts and deliver upon projections
- Report regularly to the team on the status of key opportunities and efforts
- BS / BA degree, MBA preferred
- 5-10 years of experience in investment banking, management consulting, sales or business development (mobile, platform, media, gaming, online consumer)
- People management experience
- A strong network in specific, target verticals
- Sound business judgment, problem solving and analytical problem solving skills
- Exceptional written and verbal skills
- Gaming and esports industry knowledge a plus
- Ability to manage complex contract negotiations
Medical, dental, & vision
Skillz provides comprehensive medical, dental, vision & pre-tax benefit options to support the well-being of Skillzians & their family.
401(k) match program
Tomorrow is as important as today. We offer a 401(k) match to support our team’s financial health and long-term planning.
Each employee represents a critical part of what makes Skillz great. Access to stock options is one way we share these long-term wins together.
Paid time off policy
All things in life have their place. Generous PTO, winter shut-down + half-day summer Fridays in August helps Skillzians stay well-rounded & rested.
Snacks, friday team lunch, dinners
Enjoy 5 company-paid meals per week plus snacks for the hungry moments in-between.
$10 off Uber Pool & Lyft Line at the end of each work day.
Our actions shape our culture & our community. We support each other & share a commitment to advancing our vision of Gaming for Good.
Skillz at a glance
Skillz focuses on Mobile, Entertainment, Sports, Video Games, and Development Platforms. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Portland. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Skillz has raised $65M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2018.