The leading marketplace platform for competition-based mobile games
Senior Product Designer, Game Operations
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Who we're looking for:
Your passion for design leads you to creating fresh new concepts that can change an industry. You’re insatiably curious, and you take the initiative to find solutions to obvious and hidden problems. The status quo is not sufficient, and you are constantly looking for new ways to improve your designs and a user’s experience, and you expect the people around you to do the same.
We’re looking for an experienced Product Designer that can help us create a new industry standard for product experiences that support our game developer partners, game operations, and internal tooling. These product experiences are critical to ensure that our game operations are efficient and seamless as we scale Skillz to thousands of games and a billion players. This role will also play a pivotal part in ensuring our growth and brand presence by redesigning how users engage with our corporate website by attracting new players, game developers, and prospective new teammates.
What You'll Do:
* Gain a deep understanding of our target users through observations, research, and analytics so that you can champion their needs
* Work end-to-end, tackling complex user needs from sketching to low and high fidelity prototypes
* Own feature designs that create responsive experiences across multiple devices
* Leverage solid design rationale to create an intuitive and efficient platform experience that merges user goals with business needs
* Build out our design system to improve the quality of our products as well as the efficiency of our design and engineering teams
* Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and other designers to incorporate feedback and uncover compelling design solutions
* Redesign the Skillz.com experience to help strengthen our brand and attract new players, game developers, and teammates
* 3+ years of professional experience as a UX or Product Designer
* Experience designing for mobile-first, responsive web applications
* Portfolio that demonstrates strong understanding of how users engage with the aesthetics of a product through the use of typography, color, imagery, layout, and grid systems
* Portfolio that showcases sound product thinking and design rationale through navigation, user flows, interaction design, and information architecture
* Ability to manage deadlines and collaborate in a cross functional environment
* Experienced in using various design software including Sketch, Adobe CS, and Invision
* Experience with motion design and animation is a plus
Along with your resume, please include links to your portfolio work that best represents your design process.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.
CultureView all photos and perks
Medical, Dental, & Vision
401(k) Match Program
Paid Time Off Policy