Enhance your cybersecurity through people, process, and technology
Software Engineer, Backend
Boston, MA or Remote (with experience)
Do you want to help shape the future of training cyber security teams against malicious cyber criminals and foreign actors? Would you like your work to have meaningful impact in an area as important as cyber security? SimSpace is looking for backend software developers to create our realistic cyber simulation products and services for cyber security testing, training, assessments, and tool development.
We are seriously disrupting the status quo for Cyber Security Ranges to allow companies to better understand their risk and improve through practice and experimentation. We are a fast moving company that needs the right kind of talent and determination to join our team. We are protective of our company culture and will carefully consider how well you fit in. We’re a startup that must ship. There are real technical challenges and we need your talent to succeed. We’re still small, so it’s a great time to join us.
There are many opportunities to apply your computer science abilities to data handling and lifecycle, concurrency, permission models, architecture, and API design. We strive to make our tools and infrastructure effortless so our customers can be fully engaged with learning. Our team appreciates the elegance of our platform as well as the code behind it.
Our backend stack is becoming 100% Haskell, with Postgres for storage and deployed with Docker and Kubernetes. We regularly use advanced type-system features to achieve a high level of code safety.
Our backend team is a combination of remote developers and local developers in our Boston headquarters. One of our largest remote hubs is in Montreal with a growing presence and co-working office space. Working remotely is an option for experienced engineers located in the US and Canada that have successful experience with working remotely. We bring our entire team together for quarterly off-sites, which facilitates the team bond for everyone. For less experienced engineers or those who have not worked remotely before, we have a strong preference for the Boston or Montreal area to facilitate mentoring and interaction with more experienced staff. Please apply even if you are unsure if you would qualify for remote work and we will review your application. We have had many great remote team members who have never used Haskell professionally before, for example.
- Design and develop backend services in our cyber range software platform
- Handle large amounts of data and concurrency at scale
- Make use of REST and WebSockets to interact with other component services
- Work closely with a passionate team of software developers and designers
You are a good fit if you have:
- U.S. citizenship as required by our existing U.S. Government contracts
- At least three years of professional software engineering experience, and at least one year of experience with Haskell for web applications.
- Demonstrated experience with distributed systems, data handling, proper use of security constructs, SQL stores, concurrency primitives, testing frameworks, and data structures in enterprise systems. We consider these the basics. Fundamentals matter.
- A strong sense of pride in crafting well-tested and well-designed code that is delivered on-time. We have to deliver and it has to work.
- Produce high quality software that is well-written, well-instrumented, tested thoroughly and securely designed and implemented
- Fluent with git, GitHub, Docker, CI/CD and modern team software development and testing tools and practices, including Secure SDLC approaches
- Create well-designed and documented APIs and JSON data formats
- Moderate system administration skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Self-starter that is highly motivated, accepting of other opinions, and can work effectively in a team
- Competitive salary and benefits (medical, dental)
- Equity in the company
- Flexible hours provided you overlap the main part of the day (EST) to interact with others
- One day a week telecommute -- we value in-person interaction
U.S. citizenship as required by our existing U.S. Government contracts. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.