Reinventing offshore software development
Part-time Instructor: Microsoft Graphics Frameworks$9k – $10k • No equity
The part-time Microsoft Graphics Frameworks (Win2D, DirectX) Instructor for Silicon Villas will design and lead online software courses for a small group of English-speaking developers in Italy. Responsibilities include:
- Designing and delivering an introductory course on "Introduction to Windows Modern Graphics APIs"
- Creating, giving, and reviewing course-related assignments
- Answering developers’ course-related questions
- Providing 1:1 coaching to developers (availability permitting)
- Onboarding sessions (approximately 90 minutes) via teleconference
Rate and time commitment
$125-175/hour, depending on experience. This is an independent contractor position. The Introduction to Windows Modern Graphics APIs course will involve approximately 3-6 hours of in-class time and 3-6 hours maximum of paid curriculum development and prep time, with more classes and mentoring possible beyond that.
** Please note that the "annual salary range" does not apply; this is an hourly, part-time, contract position.**
About Silicon Villas
Silicon Villas is a nonprofit organization providing remote US-based education for software developers in southern Italy and connecting them with paid offshore work with US companies. Course topics include software development, product development, project management and English language. For more info: http://www.siliconvillas.org/
- The ability to work part-time (approximately 6 hours a month).
- You are an experienced software developer currently or previously working in the Silicon Valley/San Francisco Bay Area. This work is meant to be done in addition to your day job—not instead of it.
- At least 3 years of experience using Windows-managed APIs for 2D and 3D graphics, and the ability to explain the inner workings of Win2D and DirectX + provide practical examples
- A somewhat flexible schedule and the ability to accommodate class times that take into account time differences between California and Italy (9 hour time difference, so usually classes are early morning California time).
- Some teaching experience, but if not, a genuine interest in teaching, along with enthusiasm for Microsoft Graphics Frameworks (and other topics you may teach)
- Proactive about cultivating feedback on an ongoing basis. You welcome and incorporate feedback in your work, and the work of your students.
- Comfortable teaching on a remote platform (using tools like showing your desktop and video conferencing) as a member of a virtual team, from your own home/office with team members that are spread across the US and Europe.
- Open to the possibility of teaching additional topics, based on your experience
- Optimism, congeniality and passion for your work.
Required technical experience:
- Good knowledge of linear algebra and matrix transformations for graphics applications
- C# Advanced and latest features (especially async/await patterns, client-side multithreading, advanced exception handling, etc.)
- Unit tests in UI graphical environments
- Performance & stress tests, both for client- and server-side apps.