We bridge the distance between businesses and their customers
Technical Support Engineer
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
We are seeking a new Technical Support Engineer to join Shippo's Engineering team. As a TSE, you are both an expert communicator and technologist. You help onboard, educate, and support our customers at a global level. Your analytical skills are top notch and you can quickly identify the root cause of issues by examining our codebase while communicating directly with customers, product and engineering teams as you work together towards a solution such as writing and deploying code at all levels of the system, working with customers directly, or leading triage sessions with the engineering team.
Responsibilities and Impact
- Be challenged daily with complex debugging issues in an agile environment.
- Utilize and learn about a myriad of technologies including Python, Go, Django, Redis, Postgres, Celery, ElasticSearch, AWS environments, HTML, CSS, JS, and Ember.js.
- Diagnose and solve technical issues including root cause analysis by reading the code base.
- In some cases, you will need to provide clear instructions to reproduce the problems to engineering teams, in others, you will need to drive new product specifications.
- Have a direct impact on product direction.
- As one of the key contacts with our customers, you will be the first to know about areas where we can improve our product.
- Your ability to think creatively and apply technical know-how will help you suggest improvements to the product team.
- Ensure that our process for surfacing bugs to engineering is fast, efficient, and effective, Give the best possible experience for our customers.
- You have experience with web development and are eager to learn and improve your skills.
- Comfortable doing client-side debugging using browser or proxy based debug tools such as Sumo Logic and Postman.
- You have used ticketing systems such as Zendesk and Jira to respond to customer inquiries and to file bug reports.
- A curiosity about how things work and a firm understanding of internet security and protocols.
- You show high competency and low ego. You are passionate about helping people both inside and outside of your company.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and are empathize with people when helping them solve their issues.
- You have a 4-year degree and/or completed a software engineering program at a boot camp/online course.
- You have developed RESTful APIs or even built your own web server.
- Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related discipline.
Benefits, Perks, and More
- Medical, dental, and vision healthcare coverage for you and your dependents. Pets coverage also available!
- Flexible policy for PTO and work arrangement
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 annual learning stipend for your personal and professional growth
- Charity donation match up to $100
- Free daily catered lunch, drinks, and snacks
- Fun team events outside of work hours - happy hours, “escape room” adventures, hikes, and more!
Shippo at a glance
Shippo focuses on SaaS, Developer APIs, B2B Express Delivery, Logistics, and Shipping. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Shippo has raised $61.025M of funding; their latest round was closed on April 2020.