We bridge the distance between businesses and their customers
Senior Frontend Engineer
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
About the Role
As the Senior Frontend Engineer, you will be responsible for the Shippo experience across all of the product’s web properties. As a member of the engineering team, you will work jointly with the design team to create beautiful, interactive, and responsive interfaces. You will lead in the implementation of the user interfaces, developing new pages end-to-end on your own or assisting and working with other team members in the implementation. Working with design, you will identify, propose and lead/help others develop reusable frontend components to improve consistency and look and feel of the application.
- Provide early input to design team to streamline designs for implementation, participate in design reviews for new features, products, and systems
- Collaborate with the design team to build a tool for creating interactive interfaces and create rapid prototypes of design concepts as well as responsive and accessible designs
- Architect UI layer to maximize design and code reuse, lead in the implementation of a UI testing framework and tests, deploy new pages and features
- Mentor other team members and grow UI competencies in the engineering team, provide feedback to improve the usability of the product and reduce the complexity of the user interface
- Keep up-to-date with high performance best practices, conduct performance tests regularly, and optimize web pages continuously and evangelize the adoption of developments of HTML, CSS, and JS
- 4+ years of experience in front-end application development
- Experience building and maintaining a codebase using a client-side framework at least one of React, Angular, Vue, etc.
- A good understanding of REST principles and API Design, Working experience with integrating wide variety of API Calls
- Past experience and success creating extensible style library and organizing code for reuse and maintainability
- Knowledge and understanding of best practices for high-performance web sites
- Familiar with creating responsive web experiences leveraging browser and device capabilities, making use of emerging tools and best practices
- Good understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and AJAX
- Interest and willingness to learn new frameworks and technologies.
- Interest in and understanding of security practices and test automation
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills; ability to communicate with non-technical team members with a deep understanding of customer needs and passion for customer success
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Benefits: medical, dental, vision, (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents), and pets coverage
- Flexible PTO + work hours
- Dog are welcomed in the office
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 yearly learning stipend for your personal growth
- Free lunch / drinks / snacks
- Fun team events outside of work hours - happy hours, “escape room” adventures, hikes, and more!
Shippo at a glance
Shippo focuses on SaaS, Developer APIs, B2B Express Delivery, Logistics, and Shipping. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Shippo has raised $61.025M of funding; their latest round was closed on April 2020.