We bridge the distance between businesses and their customers
Senior Backend Engineer
Before you read on, take a look around you. Chances are, pretty much everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times, in order to get there. E-commerce is exploding, and with it, parcel shipping is becoming a meaningful factor in a business' ability to succeed. Creating a compelling shipping experience for customers is hard but necessary.
At Shippo, our goal is to level the playing field by providing businesses access to shipping tools and terms that would not be available to them otherwise.
Shippo lowers the barriers to shipping for businesses around the world. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Internally, we think of Shippo as the building blocks of shipping. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person. Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.
About the Role
We're looking for a senior engineer to work on exciting backend features that will impact the Shippo platform. Your role will give you end-to-end ownership over the design and implementation of Core services and give you the knowledge and responsibility of how it runs and scales in production.
- Design, implement, test, and deploy software services with high SLAs and that can handle millions of requests a day
- Ensure scalability and maintainability through microservices adoption, decoupling of concerns and data model, queuing of jobs and application layering and container-based software distribution.
- Continue to build out and enhance our CI/CD pipeline for smooth and safe production releases via automated testing and verification.
- Verify and ensure performance and correctness of systems in response time and throughput.
- Design and maintain database schema for large scale and performant services
- Architect systems and refactor existing systems for optimal performance and reuse
- Participate in peer reviews and testing and contribute to automated test suites and in design reviews for new features, products, and systems
- Collaborate with business teams and provide early input to new product ideas and functionality
- Coding experience in server-side programming languages (e.g. Go, Python, Java, Ruby) as well as database languages (SQL)
- Experience working with server-side MVC frameworks (e.g. Django, .NET, Spring, Rails, Phoenix)
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and familiarity with various design and architectural patterns
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Deep understanding of customer needs and passion for customer success
- Exhibit core behaviors focused on craftsmanship, continuous improvement, and team success
- 3+ years of experience in software development
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with Go programming language
- Experience with Django
- Past experience and success in building scalable APIs or services
- Interest and experience in performance tuning, concurrency, microservices, security, data pipelines, and web stack
- Experience integrating with APIs that use REST, SOAP and other technologies
- Experience with DevOps tooling such as Docker, Terraform, CircleCI, SumoLogic, PagerDuty, etc
- Experience with AWS/Cloud services such as EC2, S3, Lambda, Route 53, Cloud Formation, Cloudflare, Elastic Beanstalk, IAM, etc.
- Experience with billing and/or invoice systems (Stripe, Braintree, Zoho, Zuora, Chargebee etc)
- Benefits: medical, dental, vision, (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents), and pets coverage
- Flexible PTO + work hours
- Dog are welcomed in the office
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 yearly learning stipend for your personal growth
- Free lunch / drinks / snacks
- Fun team events outside of work hours - happy hours, “escape room” adventures, hikes, and more!
Shippo at a glance
Shippo focuses on SaaS, Developer APIs, B2B Express Delivery, Logistics, and Shipping. Their company has offices in San Francisco. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Shippo has raised $61.025M of funding; their latest round was closed on April 2020.