Meet ShapeScale, Personal 3D Body Scanner & Fitness Tracking [YC S15]
Senior Software Engineer, Backend$150k – $190k • 0.5% – 1.0%
Want to work on something new, exciting and innovative? If you answered yes to that question, then you are in the right place! Shape is a startup company working on ShapeScale, a photo-realistic 3D body scanner that shows you how your body composition changes. After having completed a very successful pre-order launch and the recent closing of a $4M financing round, we are looking to expand our team in San Francisco.
Our software team is looking for a talented backend engineer. You will develop the cloud processing infrastructure and body computing platform that powers ShapeScale. It runs state-of-the-art computer vision and machine learning algorithms in the cloud. If you thrive in a fast-paced and growing environment, this is the team for you. Apply today!
At Shape, we believe that what makes a company amazing is the people. Our people are our greatest asset, and together we share the commitment to create products that connect the human body with technology in a magical way. We are committed to a culture of flexibility, diversity, and fun to all of our team members.
Join our world-class, fitness crazed team to work on some of the most challenging technical problems that have the potential to change countless of lives, including yours.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead the development of the communication layer between ShapeScale and the Cloud processing infrastructure
- Design and implement authentication and authorization for internal and external facing services
- Design and implement APIs to support both external platform users and internal cross service applications.
- Ensure system security externally to protect against a variety of web-based attacks and internally to guard against unintentional data access
- Ensure collaboration with senior management to help generate task breakdowns and accurate schedules
- Take part in code reviews, architectural decisions, write unit tests, and conduct troubleshooting to ensure up-time for live systems
- Work closely with front-end, backend, computer vision/machine learning and firmware engineers across the organization to define product requirements, schedules and specifications.
Who You Are
- 5+ years of experience in building scalable distributed systems from the ground up
- Strong (backend) software engineering skills in either Python, Java, Scala, Ruby OR Go/Golang
- Demonstrable skills in having designed and deployed a scalable environment using 3rd party cloud services (AWS, Google Cloud, MS Azure, etc.)
- Experienced with streaming data processing using facilities like AWS Kinesis, Apache Kafka or similar
Bonus points if:
- Experience with Golang
- Experienced with internet of things devices, protocols, standards, and services
- Experience with NoSQL databases like MongoDB, DocumentDB, DynamoDB, ElasticSearch or similar
- Experienced in working in a small team/startup environment
What you'll get from us:
- A chance to have a transformative impact on the lives of potentially millions by enabling them to lead happier and healthier lives
- Competitive salary and equity
- Excellent, comprehensive health insurance, 100% employer covered (incl. dependents)
- Unlimited paid time off (15 days/year required!)
- Daily catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Wellness and commuter benefits
- Assistance with H1B / O1 / TN visa transfer (if necessary)
- Opportunity to work in a creative and collaborative environment, with a passionate, agile and adept diversified team
Our debut product, ShapeScale, is the first photorealistic 3D body scanner that shows you how your body shape changes over time. ShapeScale is also going to enable various applications in fashion, healthcare, and mixed reality. We have recently started to take pre-orders for ShapeScale and have thus far received thousands of pre-orders. Shape is backed by renowned investors such as Y Combinator and Stanford StartX.
We’re an equal opportunity employer, who values diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.