Segment is the best infrastructure for your customer data
Senior Engineering Manager, Site Reliability & Tooling
The Segment SRE & Tooling teams are looking for an experienced manager who is passionate about creating high scale, high quality, modern solutions to delivering complex engineering solutions and joining our effort to define the future of Customer Data Platforms. The SRE team at Segment is comprised of some of our most experienced engineers, who directly create our most complex system components, and who also develop our (primarily on AWS) efficient and secure cloud infrastructure. Our Tooling team focuses on our ability to deploy and build at scale, to create best practices across our engineering organization for security, compliance, and enables our highly autonomous engineering teams to execute safely with the latest technologies. If you are technically adept and also passionate about development of highly technical teams focused on high scale, large technology and infrastructure challenges, and engineering productivity, this may be the role for you!
W** ho We Are @ Segment:**
- Rick and Collin blogged about ctlstore, and then we open sourced it.
- Ray gave a talk about eBPF (video) for performance analysis and how we use it.
- Alex and team ditched microservices in our server-side destinations to improve our architecture.
- Dive in with the team to optimize mission-critical services written in Go and Node.
- Checkout an efficient encoder/decoder package for various data formats built by Achille.
- Read about how Rick and Collin built Ctlstore that serves 100µs reads with 100% availability
- We try to deeply understand how the most technical aspects of our infrastructure and product impact the success of Segment.
- We think deeply about building the right products.
What we do:
- We implement high performance pipelines with Go, Kafka, Docker, Terraform and lots of other modern tools, we are heavy users of AWS and are expanding to other clouds.
- We drive the future of CI/CD with technologies like BuildKite, Atlantis, and many other technologies we create and curate.
- We love finding the best tools for the job at hand, for example integrating ClickHouse for customer facing and internal statistics, and running Kafka and FoundationDB at scale.
- We have a culture of exceptional testing including unit testing, automated end-to-end testing, shadow deploys, game days, and high observability.
- We’re always deploying, and have sophisticated feature flagging (built on ctlstore).
- We dog-food Segment to help ourselves move faster and guide our engineering and product.
- We partner with our customers and exceptional embedded product leadership to ensure the work we do has impact with our customers and our engineering community.
Who we are looking for:
- You lead by example and care for your teams.
- You establish credibility through the quality of your team's technical execution and ownership.
- You have a rare ability to collaborate with and influence diverse engineering teams to improve the reliability, scalability and durability of their services.
- You know how to source, recruit, hire and retain talented SRE & Tooling engineers.
- You mentor and develop each employee to reach their full potential.
- You give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to their personal and professional success.
- You effectively coordinate response to outages and advise the team during postmortems on effectively avoiding repeated incidents.
- 3+ years of experience managing healthy and high-performing engineering team(s), both technically and as a people manager. You understand the importance of laying out context for the team instead of prescribing solutions.
- Experience managing an engineering team(s) on large-scale projects with technical deep-dives into code, networking, operating systems and/or storage.
- Previous operational responsibility for business critical production systems, in a collaborative environment.
- Strong sense of urgency and ownership over critical problem areas.
- CS, EE or CE degree and/or a demonstrable, solid understanding of CS fundamentals
- Solid grasp of Linux systems and networking concepts.
- Demonstrably effective communicator — in spoken and written forms.
- Experience operating large-scale, distributed systems on top of cloud infrastructure.
- Broad understanding of the OS and of networking protocols with demonstrated ability to apply this understanding to solve real problems.
- Strong proficiency with OS tuning and expertise in the application of debugging tools.
- Expertise in problem solving and analyzing distributed systems at global scale. We encourage you to apply if this role excites you - even if you think you may not meet all of the qualifications. At Segment we live by four values: karma, drive, tribe and focus. We are always looking for outstanding individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives who embody these values. To learn more about life at Segment and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit our LinkedIn page. We’re excited to meet you! Segment is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone should receive equal consideration and treatment. Recruitment, hiring, placements, transfers, and promotions will happen based on qualifications for the positions being filled regardless of sex, gender identity, race, religious creed, color, national origin ancestry, age, physical disability, pregnancy, mental disability, or medical condition.
Including 401k, medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance.
We offer a generous leave policy for both birthing and non-birthing parents, and cutting edge support to help make being a parent easier!
Our healthy, catered lunches and dinners are delicious and cover every type of diet.
We provide a $100/month stipend that you can spend on anything wellness related.
We want to take the stress out of commuting and make your life easier instead.
We want to support your curiosity and growth; everyone can take advantage of an annual L&D stipend.
We help cover the costs of moving to bring great talent to our team.
We offer a choice of work settings suitable for your variety of day-to-day tasks and work activities.
Segment at a glance
Segment focuses on Cloud Computing, Analytics, Infrastructure, Big Data, and Developer APIs. Their company has offices in San Francisco, New York, Denver, Vancouver, and Sydney. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Segment has raised $170.58M of funding; their latest round was closed on July 2017.