ML platform for biological compounds
Associate Product Manager
BenchSci exponentially increases the speed and quality of life-saving research by empowering scientists with the world’s most advanced biomedical artificial intelligence to run more successful experiments. Backed by F-Prime and Google’s AI fund, Gradient Ventures, BenchSci uses machine learning to diagnose pharmaceutical R&D health from hidden patterns in procurement data. A turnkey application of AI with immediate, quantifiable impact, BenchSci now optimizes reagent procurement and experimental success in 15 of the top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers globally.
As a key member of the Product Team, reporting to the Director, Product, you will help to drive the direction of our product as the voice of our users. This is a challenging and impactful role.
To succeed you will need to be someone who is:
- Unbiased. You’re a true first principle thinker, eager to understand and be the voice of our end users within the company.
- Passionate. You have a love for our product and the problems it can solve. You’ve experienced the pain of reagent selection first-hand.
- Resourceful. You can make difficult decisions to help BenchSci evolve its product with a mixture of both quality and speed.
What you’ll do:
- Be the voice of the user within BenchSci. Have a deep understanding of scientists’ needs and ensure they are taken into consideration when building our product
- Conduct end-user research to ensure we build features customers will love, including: creating user personas, mapping user workflows, and identifying addressable pain points along those workflows
- Contribute to BenchSci’s product roadmap by identifying new areas of opportunity
- Collaborate with Design and Product to scope solutions to address pain points
- Support Design by pressure-testing prototypes from the user perspective
- Write user stories for the development team for feature releases
- Drive release-management - make decisions about what tradeoffs to make to ensure we regularly ship incremental value
- Meet with users regularly to understand their pain points and identify opportunities for our product
- QA the platform to ensure end-user needs are met
- Regularly collect feedback and feed insights to other teams to improve our product
- Regularly review end-user feedback with the Design and Product leads to prioritize problem spaces to address
- Communicate often - keep teams aligned on the purpose of our work
Who we’re looking for:
- Our users are scientists. A PhD in biology (or a related field) is a must
- (Preferred) 2+ years as a research scientist (biotech or large pharmaceutical company)
- Strong understanding of BenchSci’s business, product, and customers
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize solutions to drive the greatest possible impact
- Maintain a sense of empathy for our users
- Detail-oriented and well-organized
- Strong communicator. You will be expected to both represent our product in an unbiased way to end-users as well as communicate priorities to a variety of internal stakeholders
What you get:
- Competitive salary with company benefits from day one
- Dedicated learning and development budget (conferences, courses, etc.)
- An opportunity to help transform and improve scientific research with a fun, energetic, and supportive team
- Quarterly team events, annual retreats, and regular lunch and learns
BenchSci at a glance
BenchSci focuses on Biotechnology, Life Sciences, Pharmaceuticals, Machine Learning, and Artificial Intelligence. Their company has offices in Toronto. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, BenchSci has raised $2.7M of funding; their latest round was closed on March 2017.