Together, we can drive innovation and discovery like never before
Front-End Software Engineer
Science Exchange is a fast-growing company on a mission to enable breakthrough scientific research. We connect researchers and service providers through our online marketplace and hands-on concierge service, and promote scientific collaboration that will help improve the quality and efficiency of research. Our headquarters are in Palo Alto, California, but we are a truly global company with employees all over the U.S., Europe and Asia/Pacific.
How We Work
Our primary application is a classic Ruby on Rails codebase, with a little bit of React.js mixed in and a whole lot of jQuery. We write tests for our code, and use continuous integration/delivery (with Circle CI) with feature flagging to safely deploy (to Heroku) multiple times a day. We follow “Agile” Scrum methodology, but aren’t dogmatic about it - it just happens to work well for us. We track sprints in JIRA, have brief but effective daily stand-ups, and review each other’s code on Github.
We’ve worked hard to build a culture of collaboration, respect, and mutual support. We load-balance when needed and without judgement; we attend conferences and present new ideas, technologies and tools to each other as we discover them. We work smart enough to avoid late nights and long work weeks, but we don’t shy away from putting in extra hours when a critical mission requires it. We take time off to recharge when we need to.
What You'll Do
* Institute patterns and best practices that ensure the future maintainability of front-end code
* Improve front-end performance for our usersImprove our front-end test coverage
* Work with back-end/full-stack teammates to execute on user stories presented by the product team
What You Bring
* At least 3 years of professional experience with web applications
* Experience with Yarn, NPM, Bower and other package managers and tooling
* Familiarity with SCSS, LESS, and methodologies like BEM
* Familiarity with UI kits like Bootstrap, Foundation, or Material Design
* Experience in a startup environment
* Enough of an eye for design to improvise on existing design standards and patterns
Full medical, dental, and vision insurance with premiums 100% covered
401(k) with 4% matching
Work hard, but also take time to travel and relax with unlimited vacation
Daily catered lunches and open, stocked kitchen
Health spend for gym, massge, and wellness
Educational reimbursement for conferences and classes
Karaoke, team retreats, community service projects, and more
Standing desks and the best ergonomic hardware
Science Exchange at a glance
Science Exchange focuses on Biotechnology, Life Sciences, Marketplaces, Consulting, and Outsourcing. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Palo Alto. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Science Exchange has raised $86.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on June 2017.