Together, we can drive innovation and discovery like never before
Director, Head of People & Culture
Science Exchange is a fast-growing company on a mission to enable breakthrough scientific research. Our platform connects researchers and service providers, and promotes collaboration that will help improve the quality and efficiency of scientific research. Our headquarters are in Palo Alto, California, but we are a truly global company with team-members all over the U.S., Europe and Asia/Pacific.
Science Exchange is seeking an experienced executive to lead People & Culture during an exciting period of growth for the company. As our Head of People & Culture, you will be a key leader at Science Exchange responsible for developing a world-class employee experience throughout the entire employee lifecycle. Your focus will be on finding and developing talent; creating exciting career paths; and fostering an environment of high-performance, innovation, and passion that will help the amazing members of our team flourish. You will have overall responsibility for directing our efforts in human resources, recruiting, diversity & inclusion, learning & development, and various cultural initiatives. You will develop strategies and implement programs that inspire, motivate and develop our employees, and you will be a major champion our culture and values.
What You'll Do
* People operations: own all people operations processes including performance review cycles; compensation reviews and planning; benefits administration; legal and regulatory compliance as it relates to employment etc., and as we scale ensure that we evolve our processes appropriately.
* Employee development and retention: develop and execute all learning and development initiatives and help drive a high-performance, high-growth mindset that focuses on career development and growth.
* Recruiting and talent acquisition: in partnership with hiring managers, run our recruiting and talent acquisition activities including defining and implementing strategies to attract, hire, and retain top talent across the company with a focus on building a diverse and inclusive team.
* Cultural champion: be a champion of our culture, helping the team understand and live our core values through effective programs that promote morale while achieving our company goals.
* Trusted advisor: be the trusted advisor to the CEO, COO and extended leadership team, holding all managers to a high-quality standard.
Who You Are & What You'll Bring
* An experienced people operations executive with 5-10 years hands-on experience across the full range of human resources functions
* A self-directed leader with an entrepreneurial spirit who proactively takes ownership and is excited to scale our team and company
* An excellent project manager with a proven ability to design and implement people operations strategies that drive business results
* A natural coach and mentor with an ability to foster relationships with all levels of the team, to relate well with others, to listen effectively, and to help employees at all levels achieve their development goals
* A strong communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong presentation skills
* A highly ethical individual with unquestioned integrity and the experience, confidence, and stature to effectively address sensitive HR and business issues with complete discretion and confidentiality
* A data driven decision-maker with the ability to advocate for investments in people operations strategies from an ROI perspective
* A highly curious individual with a growth mindset
* A deep knowledge of legal HR compliance matters. Knowledge of California and U.S. employment laws and regulations required. Knowledge of U.K. employment laws a plus
* Proficient in Google Apps. Experience using Lever, Namely, and Small Improvements a plus
* Minimum BA/BS degree. HR certifications a plus
* Prior experience at a rapidly scaling tech startup is a plus
Full medical, dental, and vision insurance with premiums 100% covered
401(k) with 4% matching
Work hard, but also take time to travel and relax with unlimited vacation
Daily catered lunches and open, stocked kitchen
Health spend for gym, massge, and wellness
Educational reimbursement for conferences and classes
Karaoke, team retreats, community service projects, and more
Standing desks and the best ergonomic hardware
Science Exchange at a glance
Science Exchange focuses on Biotechnology, Life Sciences, Marketplaces, Consulting, and Outsourcing. Their company has offices in San Francisco and Palo Alto. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Science Exchange has raised $86.5M of funding; their latest round was closed on June 2017.