we predict the past - data for physical places
Data Science Analyst
SafeGraph is looking for a highly curious, detail-oriented, product-minded, data-loving Data Science Analyst to join our small but mighty Product & Data Science team. The core purpose of this role is to be the first-response analytic resource whenever Product & Engineering has questions or uncertainty about SafeGraph data (or one of our many data sources). This role will need to take ambiguous questions or confusions (e.g., a bug report from a customer, or a question about API usage) and be able to work autonomously to complete full-cycle data analysis projects (formulating the questions based on the stakeholder needs, getting the data, cleaning the data, analyzing the data, synthesizing insights, visualizing/documenting, and reporting the results to the stakeholders).
We're looking for someone with great product-sense-- do you put yourself in your customers' shoes and answer the questions they *really *want to know, even if it's not what they asked for? Do you love "getting to the bottom" of a data question, quickly figuring out the details that matter?
- Analytical thinking and curiosity. Can translate product/business/customer needs into quantitative analysis.
- Strong data-wrangling and scripting language skills (preferably python). You can work with raw data from a variety of sources/structures/APIs/files.
- SQL (e.g. PostGRES) for data analysis. You do not need to create and maintain SQL databases, but you need to be an expert at working with data using SQL.
- Strong data communication skills (writing, explaining, building reports /decks /visualizations)
- A great analyst is comfortable with statistical thinking (quantifying uncertainty) and the fundamentals of regression/econometrics. But a great analyst also knows that most projects are solved without the need for rigorous statistics or regression. This is not a machine learning role.
- Familiarity with: jupyter notebooks / Google CoLab, version control (github), distributed computing / big data (e.g. pyspark, scala, spark), databricks, AWS S3,
- Familiarity with GIS/geospatial fundamentals, experience with a geospatial platform (e.g. Esri, CARTO, mapbox, google maps api)
- Our goal is to be the dominant place to get any data on a physical Place. We sell our product - our datasets - to data scientists and machine learning engineers at companies of all sizes.
- At SafeGraph, we’ve taken a measured approach to building a long term company. We were profitable in 2019, have hired experienced leadership from the start and care deeply about democratizing access to data to everyone.
- We currently have ~45 employees and are looking to grow to 50+ quickly. We raised a $20 million Series A, and the CEO was previously the founder and CEO of LiveRamp (NYSE:RAMP).
- While SafeGraph was started in San Francisco, we've been distributed across North America since 2019, and currently have small offices (in non-pandemic times) in SF, NYC & Denver. We get the entire company together in the same place as often as possible, and cannot wait to do this again soon!
- We offer our employees a robust set of benefits, including health, dental & vision insurance coverage, a 401k, work-from-home stipend, mental health benefits, and much more.
Some good reading on how we think:
We care about your health! We offer a variety of medical insurance plans (including FSA & HSA coverage), as well as dental and vision options.
Have more control of your future with our 401k retirement benefits.
Work from home friendly
Have total autonomy to work from home, or anywhere in the country.
Take that vacation you've always wanted -- when you want -- with our unlimited vacation days.
Eat from our catered buffet or grab lunch with a few colleagues on us!
Save on your daily commute with our pre-tax commuter benefits.
We strongly believe in professional development. Take a Linkedin Learning course or Master Class that will help you grow professionally.
Every week we host a company wide team-bonding event, from olympic tournaments to trivia contests. Once things are back to "normal," we'll all get together in one place as frequently as possible!
SafeGraph at a glance
SafeGraph focuses on SaaS, B2B, Big Data, Data Mining, and Data. Their company has offices in New York City, San Francisco, Denver, and Remote. They have a small team that's between 11-50 employees. To date, SafeGraph has raised $20.75M of funding; their latest round was closed on April 2017 at a valuation of $170M.