Rental property investing made stock market simple
Associate General Counsel
Roofstock is the leading marketplace for investing in single-family rental homes that cash flow day one. With over $2B in transactions, our mission is to make real estate investing radically accessible, cost effective and simple. We want to use technology to transform the way real estate is bought and sold and make real estate investing as simple as investing in stocks. Simply put, we are passionate about helping our customers build wealth through real estate.
Roofstock has been recognized as a great workplace by Glassdoor and Great Place to Work® and was recently named to the Forbes Fintech 50 and the Red Herring 100 lists of most innovative companies. Roofstock has raised over $83M to date, is based in Oakland, CA and Dallas,TX with approximately 200 people and is growing rapidly. Check out our reviews and see why our employees love working here!
This position will shape the legal function at a Series D prop tech startup and will report directly to the General Counsel. As part of our team, you will be a thought leader and business advisor on a diverse range of cutting-edge legal issues as we leverage technology to redefine residential real estate investing.
This role will be responsible for handling a variety of corporate legal matters, with an emphasis on product/marketing in the context of real estate investments. It is a cross-functional role that involves collaboration with stakeholders at all levels of the organization, and offers exceptional opportunities for professional growth.
Remote candidates will be considered, but preference will be given to candidates that are located in the San Francisco Bay Area.
What You Will Do:
- Identify and execute initiatives that turn unstructured problems into tightly-scoped, high-impact projects.
- Develop an understanding and knowledge of the regulatory issues relating to the technology-enabled marketing, purchase, sale and management of single-family homes across the US.
- Advise our product, marketing, operations and business development teams in connection with issues relating to real estate investments.
- Support our legal, finance and HR teams in connection with general corporate matters.
- Review, draft and negotiate commercial contracts, including vendor contracts, technology agreements, engagement letters, LOIs and non-disclosure agreements.
- Review marketing materials, terms of service and privacy policies.
- Advise on complex real estate and financial transactions.
- Draft template agreements, manage existing contracts, and advise on best practices, standards, and model clauses.
- Interact with and manage outside counsel across multiple states.
- Engage in or lead special legal projects as needed, including due diligence and related support on strategic transactions.
- Identify compliance issues and escalate as needed.
What You Bring With You:
- 6-8 years of relevant experience (ideally a combination of experience at a top law firm and in-house at a technology company).
- Excellent business judgment and are both detail oriented and practical.
- Mix of in-house and big firm experience, or, if you are transitioning directly from a law firm role for the first time, you are ready to embrace a new way of working.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, innovative, rapidly changing environment.
- You are able to get up to speed on new areas of law quickly and effectively.
- Collaborative outlook and ability to work cross-functionally with different departments.
- J.D. from a nationally-recognized accredited law school and are a member in good standing of at least one state bar (California or New York preferred).
What We Offer:
- An opportunity to be part of a well-funded early-stage start-up
- Equity incentives to give you a stake in our future
- Medical, Vision and Dental for you (95%) and your dependents (65%)
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Flexible Time Off and sick days
- An upbeat and collaborative work culture
- A fully stocked kitchen with snacks and meals
- Company-sponsored outings
- Discounted Gym Memberships
Medical, vision & dental
Flexible vacation policy
Discount to 24 hour fitness
Roofstock at a glance
Roofstock focuses on Real Estate, Rental Housing, Property Management, Property, and Fin Tech. Their company has offices in Dallas and Oakland. They have a mid-size team that's between 51-200 employees. To date, Roofstock has raised $68.25M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2017.