Roku offers streaming products so everyone can stream what they love
Sr. SW Engineer, Machine Learning
Roku is now working on improving the artificial intelligence capabilities of its existing voice service. The Roku Voice team is looking for an ambitious engineer with a background in one or more of the following areas: natural language understanding, machine learning and deep learning applied to sequence to sequence (Seq2Seq) learning, multi-modal dialog, and conversational systems.
What you will do in this role:
- Propose innovative ideas to improve the accuracy and artificial intelligence capabilities of the Roku spoken language system
- Conceive, design, prototype, and evaluate complex algorithms and statistical models that can be integrated into the spoken language system
- Collaborate with the engineering and product teams to launch research ideas into a Roku product release
- Document your work via internal wikis, design documents, and slide presentations
- Generate intellectual property with patent applications and publications at relevant forums
What we need from you for this role:
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Linguistics or related
- 6+ years industry experience in software development
- Strong track record of developing novel and scientifically sound solutions to solve real world problems
- Practical experience in one or more of the following areas: machine learning and deep learning applied to natural language understanding, machine learning and deep learning applied to sequence to sequence (Seq2Seq) learning
- Strong appetite for applying and running experiments leveraging the latest and greatest research in sequence to sequence (Seq2Seq) learning or other natural language understanding tasks, with the goal of production readiness
- General working understanding of spoken natural language understanding or conversational systems and its various components
- Solid programming skills in Python/Java/C++, and/or scripting languages in a Unix environment
- Practical working experience with micro-services and cloud technologies
- Practical experience with cleaning, manipulating, and analyzing large data sets
- Strong oral and written skills
Flexible vacation time
We offer a generous time-off policy. In fact, for salaried employees, we don't track vacation or have official holidays. Instead, you can take as much vacation as you think is appropriate, as long as you get your job done and don't impact the team's work.
At our Bay Area headquarters, we also provide free snacks and gourmet catered lunch.
We offer medical, wellness and financial benefits to help our employees stay healthy and happy.
encourage excellent teamwork and expect everyone to perform at a high level. We are independent thinkers who are able to take action and accomplish huge things by working as a team.
Employees receive a discount on all products offered thru Roku
Roku at a glance
Roku focuses on Hardware, Advertising, Consumer Electronics, Advertising Platforms, and Online Video Advertising. Their company has offices in Los Gatos and Austin. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Roku has raised $256.759M of funding; their latest round was closed on February 2016.