Roku offers streaming products so everyone can stream what they love
Director, UX Design
Director, UX Design
Roku is looking for an experienced Director of User Experience Design to be a hands-on designer and leader of a team of interaction and visual designers who craft easy-to-use and delightful product experiences for our 40M+ users around the world.
You will partner with product management and engineering leaders to innovate and deliver features and capabilities across the Roku platform, while maintaining the integrity and cohesiveness of our user experience. You are technical, self-managing, and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. You enjoy collaborating with a diverse team of individuals and embrace differing opinions.
You oversee design and usability, but equally focus on building the organization and processes required to consistently deliver high-quality results. You understand the company mission and business strategy and prioritize the team accordingly.
- Manage, coach, and inspire a team of designers, by providing vision and direction
- Attract, retain, and develop a world-class user experience design team
- Oversee high-quality work in a fast-paced, complex, and sometimes ambiguous environment
- Establish and enforce effective design processes that scale
- Lead through rapidly evolving, complex demands, including multiple projects with dependencies on other internal teams
- Establish trust with cross-functional partners and executive leadership
- Partner with product managers, researchers, engineers, and cross-functional stakeholders to understand requirements and provide creative, thoughtful solutions
- Help the team explore a variety of design directions, analyzing the pros and cons of each
- Ensure the designs create a cohesive and coherent product experience, utilizing design patterns
- Occasionally create your own design artifacts to communicate the user experience at various stages of the design process such as wireframes, flow diagrams, storyboards, mockups, specs, and/or lightweight prototypes
- Balance qualitative and quantitative data to make user-centered design decisions
- Conduct and participate in design reviews with a range of stakeholders across the organization
- Advocate for prioritization of changes, refinements, and improvements to the user experience
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience as a manager of interaction and visual designers
- 5+ years in individual contributor roles, designing products and services across multiple platforms
- Experience collaborating with teams of designers, researchers, product managers, and engineers throughout the design process
- Excellent communication, facilitation, presentation, relationship-building, and analytical skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills and relentless attention to detail
- Exceptional project management skills with the ability to define, plan, and lead projects forward
- Skills in communicating and influencing product strategy
- Proficiency in UX Design tools such as Sketch (or similar) to create user interfaces
- Portfolio highlighting multiple projects demonstrating user-centered design solutions with measurable outcomes (include online portfolio link with resume)
- Master’s degree in Design, Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction, or a related field
- Familiarity with technical constraints and limitations as they apply to designing for TV
Characteristics of success at Roku
- Self-motivated individual who takes ownership
- Positive attitude
- Non political
- Results oriented
- Hands on and team oriented
- Desire to win in a highly competitive environment
- Ability to adjust plan and react as needed
Flexible vacation time
We offer a generous time-off policy. In fact, for salaried employees, we don't track vacation or have official holidays. Instead, you can take as much vacation as you think is appropriate, as long as you get your job done and don't impact the team's work.
At our Bay Area headquarters, we also provide free snacks and gourmet catered lunch.
We offer medical, wellness and financial benefits to help our employees stay healthy and happy.
encourage excellent teamwork and expect everyone to perform at a high level. We are independent thinkers who are able to take action and accomplish huge things by working as a team.
Employees receive a discount on all products offered thru Roku
Roku at a glance
Roku focuses on Hardware, Advertising, Consumer Electronics, Advertising Platforms, and Online Video Advertising. Their company has offices in Los Gatos and Austin. They have a very large team that's between 1001-5000 employees. To date, Roku has raised $256.759M of funding; their latest round was closed on February 2016.