Build and share your own multiplayer video games
Principal Software Engineer - Social Core
Roblox, Principal Software Engineer, Social Core, San Mateo, CA
Join an amazing team that’s building the future of play. Every month, over 160 million monthly active players come to Roblox to immerse themselves in any game or experience imaginable. Players can create the ultimate theme park, compete as a professional race car driver, star in a fashion show, become a superhero, or simply build a dream home and hang out with friends. Today, more than 30 million user-generated games and experiences have been published on the platform, all created by a talented community of 2 million creators.
As a Principal Software Engineer, Social Core, you’ll be in charge of our core social services (presence, notifications, etc…) that are used by our 160M+ monthly users. If you are an experienced developer with a deep understanding of large scale systems, you’ll be right at home within our highly-skilled and rapidly growing social team.
- Experienced: You have 8+ years of experience in working on core service oriented architecture with a proven track record of solving high concurrency issues. You own a BS in Computer Science, MS/PhD are a definite plus.
- Intrepid: Scaling for multiple millions of concurrent users is exciting to you… You know it will take a lot to make it right, but you are impatient to get going...
- Knowledgeable: You have a deep understanding of all aspects of designing and building highly available microservices.
- Versatile: you’re a jack of all trades and you have mastered one or more object oriented languages and technologies already; you can easily adapt to any situation when the need arises and come with the right solution.
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems and driving new tools/functionality for our developers
- Team-oriented: You are able to work well as part of a team and know how to collaborate with all participants to develop the best solutions.
- Build the next gen software & systems to support Roblox's massive user growth, while supporting the existing systems that can already handle millions of concurrent users.
- Come up with great solutions while we're moving from service oriented architecture to containerized microservice model to scale to our ever increasing load.
- Constantly think about how we can improve our processes and structure to enforce quality while we iterate quickly on feature development.
- Collaborate with product and design to push the boundary of what is possible.
Perks & Benefits:
- Work with an awesome team of smart and motivated people on cool and unique projects that are used by millions of active users every day
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar and rockstar status with our community
- Free catered lunches and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Robust medical, dental and vision insurance
- Fitness reimbursement program
- 401K program
- Pre-tax commuter program
- Unlimited vacation policy
Roblox is the largest social platform for play that allows kids to imagine, create, and play together in immersive 3D worlds. Over 30 million user-generated online games have been produced on the Roblox platform with over 160 million monthly active players visiting Roblox every month to create adventures, play games, roleplay, and learn with friends in a family-friendly environment. Roblox is accessible on all modern smartphones, tablets, desktops, Xbox One, Oculus Rift, and other popular VR platforms. In 2018 and 2019, we were honored to be recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work®.
Roblox – Powering Imagination.
Excellent medical, dental & vision benefits
Rewarding 401(k) program
Flexible vacation policy
Daily lunch & fully stocked kitchens w/ unlimited snacks
Life insurance & disability benefits
Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
Roblox at a glance
Roblox focuses on Social Games, Video Games, Social Media Platforms, Development Platforms, and Application Platforms. Their company has offices in San Mateo. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Roblox has raised $402.736M of funding; their latest round was closed on February 2020.