Build and share your own multiplayer video games
Sr. Game Rendering Engineer
Roblox – The Imagination Platform
At Roblox, we are building a user-generated 3D content and gaming platform, which includes a rendering engine used by tens of millions of people worldwide.
Join some of the best Graphics Engineers in the world supporting the largest immersive 3D streaming environment deployed across console, desktop, mobile, and VR.
Rendering for us presents unique and interesting challenges for real-time computer graphics.
- Scalability: Roblox provides a platform that guarantees to the creators that their games will always and automatically run on a wide variety of devices, with cross-platform play and minimal load times.
- Compatibility: Roblox games and assets made in the past, are still working today. Rendering has to have an eye to the past, and an eye to the future…
- Community: Roblox games are made by creators of all experience levels, from professionals who earn their living on the platform to kids who are learning to program using Roblox!
In 2019, we were honored to be recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work®. We’ve fostered a company culture that empowers people to do the most defining work of their career in an environment that’s made up of the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet.
As a Game Rendering Engineer, you will solve difficult challenges while continuing to build a high-speed, completely dynamic environment connected on all devices.
Many established rendering techniques do not trivially apply to our platform - novel solutions are needed as we push Roblox towards higher targets of visual fidelity. Even the simpler visuals we support on low-power devices are enabled by some quite innovative rendering ideas, often centered around caching, incremental computation and graceful degradation.
All of this is based on an in-house rendering engine built from the ground up, supporting DirectX 9/11, OpenGL, GNM, Metal, and Vulkan GAPI’s. We have a powerful need for top-notch, low-level and high-level graphics work.
- Help investigate and implement novel rendering techniques to make ROBLOX graphics more immersive and expressive
- Learn about our community and work with technical artists to understand the present and future needs of our creators
- Help improving the performance and stability of our game engine
- Good knowledge of C++ and shading languages
- Good knowledge of 3D math and computer graphics related algorithms
- Good knowledge of one or more GPU APIs (OpenGL, DirectX and similar)
- The ability to reason about code performance and memory consumption
- A strong desire to learn the Roblox infrastructure and community as well as the ability to work effectively with other engineering and art teams
- The drive to be self-sufficient and self-organized, empowering you to take ownership of a project throughout its full lifecycle
Ideally, you also have:
- Professional experience in real-time rendering
- Demonstrable interest in creating innovative rendering techniques
- Passionate about the state of the art in rendering research
- Mobile or console development experience
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
Roblox – Powering Imagination.
Excellent medical, dental & vision benefits
Rewarding 401(k) program
Flexible vacation policy
Daily lunch & fully stocked kitchens w/ unlimited snacks
Life insurance & disability benefits
Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
Roblox at a glance
Roblox focuses on Social Games, Video Games, Social Media Platforms, Development Platforms, and Application Platforms. Their company has offices in San Mateo. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Roblox has raised $402.736M of funding; their latest round was closed on February 2020.