Build and share your own multiplayer video games
Hardware Performance Engineer
Roblox is ushering in the next generation of entertainment, allowing people to imagine, create, and play together in immersive, user-generated worlds. We’re the one and only fastest-growing entertainment platform that lets anyone teach themselves how to code, publish, and monetize any experience imaginable—across any device—reaching millions of players across the globe.
The impact that you can have at Roblox is powerful. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the success of Roblox on a massive scale. Someone who takes play seriously, but also isn’t afraid to have some fun either. Someone who’s ready to take Roblox—and their career—to the next level. In 2018 and 2019, we were honored to be recognized as a Certified Great Place to Work®. We’ve fostered a company culture that empowers people to do the most defining work of their career in an environment that’s made up of the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. Join the Roblox team where play rules and the possibilities are endless. Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet. The engineers at Roblox are working on the hardest problems in tech today - distributed systems, real-time communication, 3D co-experience, massive data processing, social networking, rendering, physics, and more. As a Roblox engineer, you will have real ownership and impact across one or more of these domains. As a part of the Hardware Engineering team you will drive the continual improvement of Roblox’s hardware infrastructure. In this role you will be responsible for defining, testing, monitoring, and writing tools to keep our infrastructure extremely efficient while driving down the TCO. You Are:
- Experienced: BA/BS Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related field with equivalent practical experience
- Hands on with: 5+ years hardware engineering and test/validation experience
- In-depth x86 server design including CPUs, PCIe, Power, Memory, etc.
- ODM Product Development
- Knowledgeable with storage and/or power subsystems
- Experienced with Linux systems and shells, daemons, and processes
- Experienced with programming languages, like Python or Go
- Decisive and effective at issue tracking and resolution
- Someone with Solid interpersonal skills
- Communicative: Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experienced with presenting to product teams and stakeholders
- Willing to travel from time to time
- You will help automate evaluation and certification of new server hardware platforms, primarily focused on performance benchmarking and supportability.
- Help our team of engineers and/or server ODM/OEM partners to develop, support, and sustain purpose built servers, with emphasis on a robust design and high quality product.
- You will collaborate regularly with internal product teams to understand requirements, cost-optimize solutions, and cultivate product knowledge.
- Expect to start hardware procurement process from initial concept, architectural draft, product requirement documents, to a final RFP.
- You will generate and review validation plans, oversee execution and test reports across multiple disciplines including mechanical, firmware, and system software.
- Investigate, triage, and debug hardware and system level issues down to component and firmware level working across the organization.
- Define and qualify second source components and materials to ensure continuity in supply chain of products.
- Development of tools to help automate the certification, benchmarking and support of server hardware platforms.
- Interface with hardware vendors and provide feedback for future product development
- Responsibilities will include architectural consultation as well as third level hardware systems support across various Operating Systems.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
Roblox – Powering Imagination.
Excellent medical, dental & vision benefits
Rewarding 401(k) program
Flexible vacation policy
Daily lunch & fully stocked kitchens w/ unlimited snacks
Life insurance & disability benefits
Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
Roblox at a glance
Roblox focuses on Social Games, Video Games, Social Media Platforms, Development Platforms, and Application Platforms. Their company has offices in San Mateo. They have a large team that's between 501-1000 employees. To date, Roblox has raised $402.736M of funding; their latest round was closed on February 2020.