To reduce crime in neighborhoods
Software Development Manager - Neighbors
Ring is looking for an experienced Software Development Manager to join our growing Neighbors Development Team. Ring has a mission to help make neighborhoods safer. With affordable solutions that work on any home, Ring is committed to offering smart security that’s accessible to everyone. Now Ring is part of the Amazon Devices family, and are seeking for technical managers who will help us create the next generation of home security. What will you help us create?
You will work on the Neighbors App which was built to help make neighborhoods safer. Over the past few years, we have learned that when neighbors, the Ring team, and law enforcement all work together, we can create safer communities. Available to everyone with an iOS or Android device, the Neighbors app allows residents to send and receive real-time crime and safety alerts straight from your smartphone to stay informed.
As a Software Development Manager at Ring, you will be responsible for leading a team of engineers working on cutting-edge large-scale cloud services that will be used by millions of Ring customers and will power the Neighbors application experiences. This position gives you the opportunity to work with world class engineers and to build cloud systems supporting millions of users. The role will work on the continued development of the Ring infrastructure and help it to work within the larger Amazon community. You will work with streaming video, large-scale deployments and high-performance computing, as well as solve distributed systems problems. This position involves team management, design, architecture and operation of large-scale cloud systems.
We are looking for a talented Software Development Manager with a strong technical background, customer obsession, and solid people management skills to manage and develop a high-powered engineering team. As we are a rapidly expanding small team, you will be required to have solid hiring and new hire development skills. Strong judgment and communication skills, long-term technical vision, and continuous focus on engineering and operational excellence are essential for success.
- Working with internal and external teams to bring Ring technology to market
- Ownership of the overall systems development life cycle
- Execution against project plans and timely delivery of committed results
- Management of day-to-day activities of the engineering teams within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Management of departmental resources, staffing, and mentoring
- Building, enhancing and maintaining a best in class engineering team
- Working closely with engineers to architect and develop the best technical designs
- Report on status of development, quality, operations and system performance to management
- Maintenance and enhancement of software frameworks for development
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 7+ years of experience building successful production software systems
- 3+ years people management experience
- Experience with REST services
- Experience programming in Go, Ruby, or Java
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 10+ years of experience doing hands-on software development
- Deep understanding of cloud software development in a team and a track record of shipping software on time
- Experience with working on AWS services (S3, DynamoDB, EC2)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
- Excellence in technical communication with peers and remote teams, both technical and non-technical
- Strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects
- Strong business and technical vision
- A solid grounding in Computer Science fundamentals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Since its founding in 2013, Ring has been on a mission to make neighborhoods safer. From the video doorbell, to Ring Alarm, which was named #1 in Customer Satisfaction for DIY Home Security Systems by J.D. Power, Ring’s smart home security product line, as well as the Neighbors app, offer users affordable whole-home and neighborhood security. At Ring, we are committed to making home and neighborhood security accessible and effective for everyone -- while working hard to bring communities together. Ring is an Amazon company. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you’re always home.
Ring LLC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants with our regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Ring Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.