Delivering Business Outcomes
Senior Scala Developer (m/f/d)€55k – €75k • No equity
Relayr is the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) powerhouse delivering the most complete solution for risk-free digital transformations. We unleash data insights from existing equipment, machines and production lines to improve our customers’ business outcomes.
We provide a unique combination of first-class IIoT technology and its delivery with powerful financial and insurance offerings — all from a single source trusted by many companies worldwide. With around 300 employees, we are a truly global family with locations in Germany, the USA, Poland, Italy, France, and the UK. Named twice the hottest start-up in Berlin by WIRED magazine and a winner of The Spark - the German Digital Award, relayr is now part of the Munich Re group.
Being at the forefront of innovation means challenging the status quo. Our talented engineering team is committed to delivering first-class IoT solutions and staying ahead of the competition. We are a diverse group of Scala nerds looking for a new colleague. We automate everything, test everything, take every opportunity to give and receive feedback and pick technologies that we believe fit the problem at hand. Once a week we meet up and solve FP problems in Scala for fun. We are looking to hire a Senior Scala Developer to be located in our office in Berlin.
Our platform is based around RESTful microservices written in Scala with Akka. We use various databases such as Postgres, Cassandra, Citus, and Elasticsearch. Since we shuffle a lot of data, most services also do stream processing over Kafka.
- Design, develop and maintain microservices and their unit, integration and system tests
- Develop and execute mid- & long-term technical vision and architecture alongside your team
- Take part in code reviews and mentoring of less experienced team members
- Innovate technology, process and product within the whole organization
- Evaluate new technologies, ideas and approaches
- Help developers in other teams to use our platform
- Taking part in on-call line 3 support rotation for production systems
- Profound knowledge of Scala and interest in functional programming
- 5+ years of experience as backend developer
- You deliver high-quality, tested, scalable code and know how to maintain it
- Experience in building distributed systems and microservice architectures.
- You can design a solid RESTful API and document it in Swagger
- Strong knowledge in data structures, SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience with Kafka and stream processing
- Professional experience with AWS and Azure platforms
Nice to have skills:
- Knowledge of Python, Node.js, or other backend technologies
- Familiarity with data processing framework (Kafka Streams, Spark or Flink)
- Flexibility and safety are important to us! As a company we were quick to react when the Corona pandemic began, sending all our employees to work from home. If you start out as a new employee at relayr, you will be working from home, enjoy a structured digital onboarding programme and flexible working hours.
- Modern office located in Kreuzberg with a relaxation room, standing-desks, free fruits, and a high-end espresso machine
- Relayrians come from all over the world, speak 20+ languages (working language is English), and welcome people of all ages and parental statuses. Our customers are as diverse as we are - join us to connect with a network of companies and people from around the globe
- An extensive on-boarding period so you can get up to speed with the rest of the team
- A learning environment where you can build upon your skills and interests, share knowledge, access our expanding professional library, and attend events and conferences pertaining to your discipline. We also offer free German classes at all levels
- Have some fun with regular team lunches and offsites, a yearly company summit, and our branded goodies
- Competitive salary
- We fully support your move to Berlin with a relocation budget and visa assistance. We'll help you settle into your exciting new city!
- 25 paid vacation days + public holidays
- Discounted Urban Sports Club membership
- Choose between a Mac, Windows, or a Linux machine
- We offer the ability to work with the newest tech-stack and the most talented engineers in IoT industry!
Sounds interesting? Please follow the link to apply for this position:
At relayr, we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. As firm believers in the power of different perspectives, we encourage our employees to share knowledge and exchange bold ideas to help innovation in the IoT industry thrive. We are committed to creating a fair, supportive, and open environment for all.
relayr at a glance
relayr focuses on Internet of Things. Their company has offices in Chicago, Berlin, and Munich. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, relayr has raised $36.3M of funding; their latest round was closed on October 2018.