AI-powered waste sorting & analytics
Mechatronics Engineer£40k – £50k • 0.0% – 1.0%
Do you want a rubbish job?
At Recycleye, we’re on a mission to build the recycling industry of the 21st century. One of the world’s biggest challenges is waste - how do you sort it, store it, and reuse it? Recycleye’s proprietary waste-sorting technology solves this issue for waste handlers and accelerates the world’s transition to a circular economy.
We’re looking for a mechatronic engineer with a few years of experience to join us as a key early stage hire on our journey to develop the recycling infrastructure of the future. You’ll have the opportunity to play an integral role in building the technology behind a world-changing product, while developing your own skills and qualifications.
Currently, the sorting of waste materials still relies on manual workers. This is expensive, slow, and inaccurate. It’s estimated that the average materials recovery facility spends 60% of their operating costs on these manual workers. To date, AI and robotics have not been advanced enough to reduce this cost and make recycling cheaper, more efficient, and more widespread.
At Recycleye, we’ve taken this into our own hands and decided to create the future. Recycleye’s ground-breaking computer vision technology allows the automatic identification of waste while our robotic picker system sorts it accordingly. Combined, they replicate the capabilities of the human brain, eye, and arm. We predict our technology will save the average materials recovery facility over $4 million.
Our technology stands to change the way recycling is done and we have received significant traction. We have a technology development partnership with Microsoft, are members of the world-leading Plug and Play accelerator and have received grants from the UK government.
We are starting a new project in early October, resulting in the development of an innovative technology that selects and removes waste items from a conveyor belt. This project will require integration with 3rd party sensors (including cameras, NIR sensor, encoders), basic CAD design of mechanical components and control of pneumatic systems. Control of actuators (linear motors, servo motors) is a good bonus to have.
You will have great autonomy and be leading on that project from the initial conception to the realisation of the first prototype, and further down to the industrialisation of the product. You will need to design the whole system, select all the different components, source them, build the prototype, and conduct testing. Therefore, we expect you to have hands-on experience and have gone through the whole product development lifecycle a few times.
We strongly believe in upskilling and therefore value commitment and personality over current ability.
We believe we’re on the verge of changing the world and by joining our small but dedicated team of 12 you can come to work every day knowing you’re making a difference. There’s no time to waste!
• Integrate third party sensors (cameras, NIR sensors, encoders, etc)
• Design the whole pneumatic system to help sort waste
• Source all the components
• Critically analyse prototype and ways to improve it
You’re a good fit if you:
• Are passionate about the green revolution
• Are ambitious and want to change the world
• Are self-motivated and have lots of initiative
• Want to be in a fast-paced environment
• Have a growth mindset and are willing to learn and adapt
• Are excited about being an early stage hire in a start-up
• Experience with pneumatic systems
• Experience with integration of sensors to control pneumatic valves, motors or else
• Basic CAD design with any software package (Fusion360 or SolidWorks preferred)
• 2-5 years’ experience
• Previous experience in similar role (fast paced environment such as start-up)
Nice to have:
• Experience with integrating with computer vision systems
• Experience working with robotic systems (i.e. 6 axis robot, gantry robot)
• Experience working with NIR sensors
• £40-50k salary
• 0-1% equity
• Unlimited holidays
• Flexible working hours and location
• Extensive upskilling opportunities
• Career growth opportunities as the company grows
How to Apply:
Interested? Let’s talk trash. To apply please send a CV to email@example.com. The recruitment process will involve an initial 15-minute call, followed by two stages of interview.
Closing Date: 25th of September