We're building the most dynamic alternative investment experience for investors and advisors
Head of Product
RealBlocks is building the most dynamic alternative investment experience for investors and advisors worldwide through its revolutionary technology and platform. Our platform connects financial advisors worldwide to the best alternative investment managers. Today, advisors are primarily limited to raising capital only within their local market. With RealBlocks, these managers can now raise capital in any international market by using our platform to connect with institutional and intermediary channels. Unlike our competitors, RealBlocks has assembled in one platform the full suite of front-office and back-office functionality needed to fully-support fund distribution efforts. Simply put, RealBlocks shortens the average amount of time needed to internationally distribute a fund from 2 years to 1 month, while providing scalable international access. We are in the process of launching our first clients, including a few tier-one private equity firms and other well-respected asset managers, as we prepare to scale-up.
We are looking for a Head of Product, who will be responsible for product strategy, development and management of the firm’s financial technology platform. The Head of Product will work directly with the CTO and COO to grow the company by developing strategies that support the company's vision and displaying leadership qualities that supplement the company's culture. Using an active and practical approach, the Head of Product will spearhead development of the platform’s features and user experience to attain the company’s tactical and strategic goals. The Head of Product will be in a position to lead execution and innovation across the RealBlocks organization. This role works in collaboration with Business Development, Finance, and Engineering team members to deliver robust, best-in-class digital experiences. You must be driven, have an instinctive and profound understanding of relevant technologies, and a pragmatic, hands-on approach to problem solving.
- 10-15 years of alternative investment industry experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of alternative investment market landscape, relevant third parties and key integrations to improve our product experience and drive value proposition.
- Direct experience in middle and back office with asset managers, custodians, transfer agents, broker dealers, RIAs, wirehouses, and banks.
- Must have experience in guiding and managing multiple relevant financial technology systems across the full product lifecycle.
- Has proven track record of introducing new technologies to modernize legacy systems
- Deeply knowledgeable about the finance technology landscape and trends.
- Experience with Agile development practices and leveraging sprint management to mitigate schedule and technical risk.
- Working knowledge of AB testing and leveraging performance metrics in order to optimize client side experience and determine roadmap for new requirements while meeting a demanding timeline.
- Responsible for owning the firm's product roadmap, development of features and functionalities, and ongoing story management by leveraging tools such as confluence and jira.
- Responsible for improving upon our straight through processing system to allow for asset managers, advisors, placement agents, broker-dealers, transfer agents and custodians to streamline operations through a combination of automated processes, customizable workflows and data integration.
- Identify and lead third-party technology integrations with financial services systems that will drive our firm network effect and improve customer experience.
- Data analytics - Set the standards for actively managing and tracking data quality.
- Serve as the product expert capable of representing the business and technical team’s needs in communications with partners, service providers, and prospective clients.
- Collaborate cross functionally to drive creation and maintain product roadmap, ensuring business and technical requirements are documented, prioritized, and delivered.
- Work with the business and engineering teams to define a clear plan for active and upcoming projects, while effectively communicating changes to relevant parties.
- Excel as both player and coach - able to get your hands dirty during crunch time, while serving as a mentor and visionary for the team.
- Leverage deep understanding of industry to gather and clearly define system requirements.
- After engaging with new clients, channel communication to the technical team to enable transparency of business needs.
- Gather feedback from new and existing clients to define product vision, UI/UX, and functionalities to establish a shared vision by building consensus on priorities leading to product execution.
- Determine cost reduction opportunities including process automation, vendor replacement, and operating expenses.
- Plan and assist in the development and marketing of the RealBlocks platform through panels and presentations.
- Use qualitative and quantitative data to create solutions for business strategy, product development, and pricing outlook.
- Forecast timing for each stage in the agile development cycle and formulate strategies to control costs and manage risks along the way.
- Work closely with sales as part of a bigger picture to ensure our customers are delighted before, during, and after a purchase.
- Innate ability to grind it out by maintaining determination and a positive attitude over long periods despite experiencing failure and adversity
- Exemplary interpersonal, presentation, and project management skills
- Excellent team- and relationship-building abilities, with both internal and external parties (business team, engineering team, clients, partners etc.)
- Strong decision making supported by the ability to work well under pressure, prioritize, and maintain keen attention to detail
- Team player who enjoys collaborating with others and has a natural tendency to be positive, creative, and curious
- Genuine empathy toward customers and commitment to diving into the weeds on their challenges
- Strong leadership skills, including ability to influence cross-functional teams through diplomacy and tact
- Passionate dedication to your craft and ability to inspire teammates on a daily basis
- Define the direction of the product and how the team builds it. This requires a special set of technical planning, organization, and prioritization skills.
- Requirements gathering - work with existing clients and potential clients to determine customers desires and translate that information into requirements for the engineering team.
- Implement sprint goals and themes - ability break down complex problems with many moving pieces into small, workable tasks organized in a specific, prioritized sequence, so that they can be addressed given the limited resources available.
- Ability to maintain up to date requirements and communicate to tech team in a fluctuating environment
- UI/UX Design, human factor engineering, specify tools used in past experiences and show us examples
- Ability to define technical roadmaps with latest tools and applications
- Ability to make comparisons between competitors and our platform to define pros, cons, features, deltas to make better planning on our product roadmap
- Experience building a multi-tenant/multi-domain environment to allow different clients to register and host on our platform
- Hands on experience supporting white-label functionality
- Thorough understanding of capital call process and how to integrate with third parties to create functionality on our platform
- Finance, Economics, Business Management, Engineering or Computer Science Undergraduate
- MBA or MS preferred
Our values help us D.R.I.V.E. our organization and industry forward:
We work in the fast paced world of fintech, and we always strive to constantly change and evolve. Our team members have to wear many hats and react on the fly, but where’s the fun in doing the same thing everyday? New challenges are bound to surface and our team is always ready to solve the next problem.
Being respectful is, first and foremost, the right thing to do. We treat everyone with respect, regardless of one’s background or identity; there’s no room for individuals who do not respect those around them. And a respectful workplace also empowers team members to speak up and help guide the direction of our organization!
RealBlocks is disrupting an established and traditional industry: alternative investments. It’s our ability to think outside of the box that allows us to solve problems in unique and new ways. Oftentimes individuals can be stymied by invisible walls that restrict their creativity; we want to embrace the freedom to think differently because that’s how true innovation is ignited.
There are no shortcuts in our world of business. It’s imperative that we act in a moral and ethical manner because we’re dealing with incredibly important and sensitive matters. A client’s money and wellbeing is the foundation of our business and we will always act in the best interest of our clients.
RealBlocks attracts incredibly bright and driven people that want to make an impact with their work. We all aim to uphold a standard of excellence because we see our work as a reflection of ourselves. This means always giving your best; the team members around you are all counting on you (but always willing to help)
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT
RealBlocks embraces and supports our employees’ differences in race, age, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, language differences, nationality or national origin, family or marital status, physical, mental and development abilities, religion or belief, sexual orientation, skin color, social or economic class, education, work and behavioral styles, political affiliation, military service, caste, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.
RealBlocks at a glance
RealBlocks focuses on Real Estate, Financial Services, Blockchains, and Financial Technology. Their company has offices in New York City. They have a small team that's between 1-10 employees. To date, RealBlocks has raised $3.7M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2019.