Viki is a premier global entertainment streaming site where millions of people discover and consume primetime shows and movies subtitled in more than 200 languages, by our community of fans. With billions of videos viewed and more than 1 billion words translated, Viki brings global entertainment to fans everywhere! We are also part of the Rakuten Group of companies, which includes Viber, eBates, Lyft and more, reaching a global audience of nearly 1 billion users.
At Rakuten Viki, our Engineering teams utilize leading-edge technologies to build a world class product. You will join a diverse and talented team with great ambitions to change the digital entertainment landscape.
We are looking for top talent to join our Engineering team as a Junior or Senior Multimedia Engineer. You need to have a passion for Video and video related technologies.
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to
- Building new features that will enable and enhance our existing video encoding platform on cloud infrastructure.
- Design, implement, and optimize video algorithms to improve current video quality and optimize for cost.
- Investigate and troubleshoot video encoding and playback issues.
- Work closely with Workflow and content operation teams to design new workflows or improve existing workflows.
You need to have 2-6+ years of experience in some of the following areas
- Understanding of any of the video codecs (Any one of H.264, H.265, VP9 in depth needed). Knowledge of audio codecs is a good plus.
- Basic understanding of adaptive bitrate streaming protocols (HLS / MPEG-DASH)
Knowledge of any one of the following is a plus
- DRM and its flows
- Media packaging and parsing
Familiar with any of the following open-source tools: FFmpeg, gpac, Bento4, x264, x265
Any experience with the following is a plus
- AWS or GCP or Azure usage
- Ruby / Ruby on Rails / Golang / Postgresql / Python
Rakuten Americas at a glance
Rakuten Americas focuses on E-Commerce, Curated Web, Canada, and United States. Their company has offices in San Francisco Bay Area and San Mateo. They have a very large team that's 5000+ employees.