Senior Data Scientist
We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our new Data Center and Networking AI Team to solve some of the hardest and most interesting technological challenges facing the industry today.
You will be joining a new team of world-class high-performing and low ego engineers and scientists that have an entrepreneurial and hacker spirit. The team will operate in a very self-driven, agile and fast-paced environment.
The team operates by self-organizing, around shared values, vision and objectives.
Keys to Hiring
You are the best candidate for this position if you are both mathematically inclined, self-motivated. You generate new ideas and initiatives to solve problems and identify trends and opportunities. You are comfortable working independently and figuring things out, and also enjoy working collaboratively in a small, fast-paced entrepreneurial environment. You enjoy being challenged and respectfully challenging others.
You write code almost every day and are comfortable working with your team to produce tools, pipelines, packages, modules, features, dashboards, or whatever is needed to move the team forward. You have a hacker’s spirit. You’re a quick study and technically flexible.
You have a strong ability to communicate about algorithms, complex data science methods, and statistical results to normal people in simple English using common ground, metaphors, and storytelling. You are intellectually curious, and enjoy looking at large data sets, to discover insights, and piece together stories. You like to develop a strong intuition to data by cleaning, organizing and labeling it. Other duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Build data pipeline to support data science needs
- Build, test and deploy custom ML/AI models and algorithms on large datasets, and develop processes for monitoring and analyzing their performance on live mission critical environments
- Drive innovation roadmaps to improve our machine learning models and experimentation techniques
- Stay abreast with latest academic research to find best solutions for our use cases
- Write or contribute to technical articles and white papers to showcase your work with visualizations to demonstrate ideas, challenges, algorithms, and results
- Collaborate with academia and engineering/data science teams across companies and business units
- Ph.D. in Statistics, Computer Science, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Computational Psychology, Operational Research, Physics or relevant field
- 5+ years of most recent experience building models hands-on and track record of solving complex enterprise problems from scratch that went to production
- Fluency in a programming language (Python, R, C, C++, Java)
- Experience working with AI/ML technologies like TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras, Caffe, scikit-learn, Spark MLlib and large-scale data sets and generating unique models and algorithms
- Proficiency with analytical and database tools (e.g. Jupyter notebooks, Hive, Presto, SQL, No-SQL)
- Strong background in classical machine learning and deep knowledge in a variety of techniques in feature selection, regression, classification, and clustering, and their real-world advantages and drawbacks
- Domain knowledge of and hands-on experience building AI solutions for data centers, enterprise networks, WAN networks is a bonus
Rakuten Americas at a glance
Rakuten Americas focuses on E-Commerce, Curated Web, Canada, and United States. Their company has offices in San Francisco Bay Area and San Mateo. They have a very large team that's 5000+ employees.