Web & Email Developer
Here at Rakuten Kobo Inc. we offer a casual working start-up environment and a group of friendly and talented individuals. Our employees rank us highly in terms of commitment to work-life balance. We realize that for our people to be innovative, creative and passionate they need to have healthy minds and bodies. We believe in rewarding all of our employees with competitive salaries, performance based annual bonuses, stock options, training and development opportunities, and above average time-off policies.
If you’re looking for a company that inspires passion, personal, and professional growth – join Kobo and come help us make reading lives better.
Rakuten Kobo Inc. is looking for a Web & Email Developer to join our Marketing Production Team! The team is responsible for the coding, QA and launch of promotional and behavioural marketing campaigns.
Reporting to the Team Lead the Web & Email Producer plays a vital role in supporting business initiatives by transforming creative assets into working code for multi-channel marketing campaigns and by developing/maintaining different tools & scripts to help our processes run smoothly. This involves working with multiple in-house clients, within tight timelines, managing last minute revisions and delivering the highest quality communication to our customer base.
- Has a desire to innovate
- Demonstrates initiative to research and develop code to solve challenges
- Maintains an in-depth, up-to-date knowledge of all relevant emerging technologies, tools, and current Web/Email/Mobile trends
- Displays a drive to learn and expand on programming knowledge base
- Challenges the status quo, going above and beyond on assigned projects
- Values quality
- Ensures browser/ISP compatibility, usability, performance, and adherence to project specifications through Dev Test and supporting QA teams
- Develops and implements clean, responsive and intuitive UI interfaces
- Leverages logic to deliver highly dynamic and personalized content elegantly
- Converts website design specifications (wireframes and mock-ups) into functional UI components/pages using HTML/CSS/JS
- Implements measures to minimize html defects and customer facing issues
- Focused, detail-oriented with strong analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Is focused on efficiency
- Consistently identifies and recommends improvements in producer workflow
- Seeks out and applies new tools, programs, methodologies and practices for the improvement of the email production process
- Excels in a fast-paced & collaborative working environment
- Interacts with internal and external teams to ensure that all web projects will display and function as expected
- Works with project managers/stakeholders to understand campaign requirements, questioning if we are building the best customer experience possible
- Consults on usability and rendering, participate in design review sessions to evaluate feasibility and suggest alternatives
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Learns quickly working independently with the ability to self-manage and multi-task on a day-to-day basis
- Ability to multi-task and handle a variety of on-going projects at once
- Knowledge of Python & APIs
- Solid knowledge of best practices for front-end development, site design standards & browser compatibility
- Solid knowledge of cross-browser and email environments (Firefox, IE, Chrome, Outlook)
- Ability to write well-abstracted, reusable code templates
- Proficient with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
Nice to Haves:
- Background in both web and email development and knowledge of best practices
- Knowledge of Figma
- Familiarity/experience with C# and Ruby with selenium and capybara for test automation support
- Knowledge of/experience with Git version control system
- Knowledge and experience with Oracle Responsys Interact® or Selligent Marketing
- Flexible hours, work from home, and no office dress code
- Full benefits starting from your first day, including a flexible health spending account
- Paid Volunteer days, unlimited sick days, and 3% GRSP matching
- Monthly commuting allowance
- A generous talent and development training budget
- Free Kobo device + free weekly e-book or audiobook
- Frequent Lunch and Learns and Author series
- Weekly Kobo Tech University sessions
- Free onsite gym
- Weekly happy hours (Thirsty Thursday’s, as we like to call it)
- Maternity/paternity leave top up
- Pooch Program that allows you to bring your furry friends to the office ****
About Rakuten Kobo Inc.
Owned by Tokyo-based Rakuten and headquartered in Toronto, Rakuten Kobo Inc. is one of the most advanced global ecommerce companies, with the world’s most innovative eReading services offering more than 6 million eBooks and audiobooks to over 30 million customers in 190 countries. Rakuten Kobo delivers the best digital reading experience through creative innovation, award-winning eReaders, and top-ranking mobile apps.
Rakuten Kobo Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations for candidates with disabilities participating in the selection process are available on request. Any information received related to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Rakuten Kobo would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this role, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Rakuten Kobo will never ask you to pay or deposit any money as part of working with Kobo. Similarly, Kobo will never ask in an email or online for your banking information or any government information about you, such as social security information. If you encounter these fraudulent attempts, please send an email to [kobo-security]@rakuten.com with the relevant information, and do not respond to the sender. All legitimate emails from Kobo are sent only from the domain @rakuten.com.
Rakuten Americas at a glance
Rakuten Americas focuses on E-Commerce, Curated Web, Canada, and United States. Their company has offices in San Francisco Bay Area and San Mateo. They have a very large team that's 5000+ employees.