Senior Software Developer, Big Data
Here at Rakuten Kobo Inc. we offer a casual working start-up environment and a group of friendly and talented individuals. Our employees rank us highly in terms of commitment to work-life balance. We realize that for our people to be innovative, creative and passionate they need to have healthy minds and bodies. We believe in rewarding all of our employees with competitive salaries, performance based annual bonuses, stock options, training and development opportunities, and above average time-off policies.
If you’re looking for a company that inspires passion, personal, and professional growth – join Kobo and come help us make reading lives better.
Our Big Data team delivers unique and personalized experiences directly to millions of readers around the world.
We are seeking a Senior Software Developer, Big Data to join our team. The ideal candidate has strong software design and programming experience, expertise in machine learning and Big Data technologies, and strong communication and management skills.
You will be part of a diverse, flexible, and collaborative environment where you will be able to apply and develop your skills and knowledge working with unique data and exciting applications.
- Design and develop backend services to store and process data in new ways.
- Build, optimize, and deploy production-quality code for our search, recommendations and content analysis research projects.
- Build on frameworks such as Spark, Hadoop, Storm, Flume and Hive to implement innovative solutions and technologies.
- Integrate with 3rd party and other in-house teams’ APIs.
- Own, architect and design new services.
- Provide leadership on many levels both inside and outside the team
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, or related field.
- 5 years or more experience with multiple mainstream programming languages such as Python, Java, C++, C#, Go, etc.
- Expertise in designing, implementing, testing and deploying software solutions.
- Comfort operating on the command line in Linux.
- Experience working with distributed Big Data tools such as Spark, Hadoop, Storm, Hive and Flume is an asset, but is not required.
- Machine Learning, Statistics, or related knowledge is an asset.
Candidates will be required to complete a coding test as part of the interview process.
- Flexible hours and no office dress code
- Full benefits starting from your first day, including a flexible health spending account
- Paid Volunteer days, unlimited sick days, and 3% GRSP matching
- Monthly commuting allowance
- A generous talent and development training budget
- Free Kobo device + free weekly e-book or audiobook
- Frequent Lunch and Learns and Author series
- Weekly Kobo Tech University sessions
- Free onsite gym
- Weekly happy hours (Thirsty Thursday’s, as we like to call it)
- Maternity/paternity leave top up
- Pooch Program that allows you to bring your furry friends to the office
About Rakuten Kobo Inc.
Owned by Tokyo-based Rakuten and headquartered in Toronto, Rakuten Kobo Inc. is one of the most advanced global ecommerce companies, with the world’s most innovative eReading services offering more than 6 million eBooks and audiobooks to over 30 million customers in 190 countries. Rakuten Kobo delivers the best digital reading experience through creative innovation, award-winning eReaders, and top-ranking mobile apps.
Rakuten Kobo Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations for candidates with disabilities participating in the selection process are available on request. Any information received related to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Rakuten Kobo would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this role, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
*Rakuten Kobo will never ask you to pay or deposit any money as part of working with Kobo. Similarly, Kobo will never ask in an email or online for your banking information or any government information about you, such as social security information. If you encounter these fraudulent attempts, please send an email to [kobo-security]@rakuten.com with the relevant information, and do not respond to the sender. All legitimate emails from Kobo are sent only from the domain @rakuten.com. *
Rakuten Americas at a glance
Rakuten Americas focuses on E-Commerce, Curated Web, Canada, and United States. Their company has offices in San Francisco Bay Area and San Mateo. They have a very large team that's 5000+ employees.