Here at Rakuten Kobo Inc. we offer a casual working start-up environment and a group of friendly and talented individuals. Our employees rank us highly in terms of commitment to work-life balance. We realize that for our people to be innovative, creative and passionate they need to have healthy minds and bodies. We believe in rewarding all of our employees with competitive salaries, performance based annual bonuses, stock options, training and development opportunities, and above average time-off policies.
If you’re looking for a company that inspires passion, personal, and professional growth – join Kobo and come help us make reading lives better.
Rakuten Kobo Inc. is looking for a Data Engineer to join a new Data *Operations *team we are building that will help transform and govern our data. You will rewrite the process to ensure we use the data in the most flexible, effective manner possible to help the business achieve its goals. Not only will you build out the tools, you will be designing, implementing, and maintaining different data architectures. The role also includes managing the flow of data from methods of input and its life cycle.
- Create scalable data pipelines (ETL/ELT)
- Write and optimize complex queries on large data sets
- Transform data and map them to more valuable and understandable sets for consumption
- Create tooling to help with day to day tasks
- Troubleshoot issues related to data accuracy and create the source of truth
- Help remove the friction from other members of the organization like Big data and analyst and allow them to focus on their primary objective
- Introduce new technologies to the environment through research and POCs
- Reduce toil by automation
The ideal candidate is a person who is a generalist who is able to jump on any problem, and aspects of operations where no level of work is beneath them.
- Problem solver
- Dabbler of all things technologies
- Believer of automation
- Reducer of toil
- Loves to apply all their learnings to advance themselves, the team and ultimately the company
- Who enjoys sharing knowledge, guiding as well as growing your own knowledge base and experiences
- Highly adaptive to changes, a two-way player, fun and supportive
- Advanced experience with Python, SQL, including MapR/Hadoop, Spark, and Hive
- Experience building ETL and big data pipelines with workflow management tools Airflow or Luigi
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Storm, Flume, RabbitMQ, Kafka, etc.
- Outstanding organizational skills, self-motivated, creative problem solving and high attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize competing requests and multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Experience managing a project backlog and working cross-functionally with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively on a self-organizing team with minimal supervision
- Initiative in communicating with co-workers, asking questions and learning
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proactive and creative problem solver with the ability to multitask and manage tight deadlines
- Superior troubleshooting skills
- Must be energetic and enthusiastic
Nice to Haves:
- Experience in continuous integration/deployment tools
- Exposure to working in Agile software development environment
- Flexible hours and no office dress code
- Full benefits starting from your first day, including a flexible health spending account
- Paid Volunteer days, unlimited sick days, and 3% GRSP matching
- Monthly commuting allowance
- A generous talent and development training budget
- Free Kobo device + free weekly e-book or audiobook
- Frequent Lunch and Learns and Author series
- Weekly Kobo Tech University sessions
- Free onsite gym
- Weekly happy hours (Thirsty Thursday’s, as we like to call it)
- Maternity/paternity leave top up
- Pooch Program that allows you to bring your furry friends to the office
About Rakuten Kobo Inc.
Owned by Tokyo-based Rakuten and headquartered in Toronto, Rakuten Kobo Inc. is one of the most advanced global ecommerce companies, with the world’s most innovative eReading services offering more than 6 million eBooks and audiobooks to over 30 million customers in 190 countries. Rakuten Kobo delivers the best digital reading experience through creative innovation, award-winning eReaders, and top-ranking mobile apps.
Rakuten Kobo Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations for candidates with disabilities participating in the selection process are available on request. Any information received related to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Rakuten Kobo would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this role, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
*Rakuten Kobo will never ask you to pay or deposit any money as part of working with Kobo. Similarly, Kobo will never ask in an email or online for your banking information or any government information about you, such as social security information. If you encounter these fraudulent attempts, please send an email to [kobo-security]@rakuten.com with the relevant information, and do not respond to the sender. All legitimate emails from Kobo are sent only from the domain @rakuten.com. *
Rakuten Americas at a glance
Rakuten Americas focuses on E-Commerce, Curated Web, Canada, and United States. Their company has offices in San Francisco Bay Area and San Mateo. They have a very large team that's 5000+ employees.