Here at Rakuten Kobo Inc. we offer a casual working start-up environment and a group of friendly and talented individuals. Our employees rank us highly in terms of commitment to work-life balance. We realize that for our people to be innovative, creative and passionate they need to have healthy minds and bodies. We believe in rewarding all of our employees with competitive salaries, performance based annual bonuses, stock options, training and development opportunities, and above average time-off policies.
If you’re looking for a company that inspires passion, personal, and professional growth – join Kobo and come help us make reading lives better.
tolino’s eReader team is looking for a Developer to work on our custom Android-based eReading software. You will be joining a team of 4 to work on growing and enhancing our offering into a class leading application. tolino is constantly looking to innovate its features, and we'll be counting on you to make sure those features are functional and of high quality. As a Developer, you'll be expected to deliver excellent code, and work closely with other devs regarding challenges and roadblocks.
Candidates must be able to legally work in Germany and be fluent in English and basic German.
Here are some of the things we do and strongly believe in:
- Every member on the team has a voice and is able to contribute to planning and designing. No ivory towers here
- We follow an Agile development process and teams are encouraged to try new things in an effort to constantly improve
- We’re dedicated to crafting high quality, peer reviewed code. Refactoring isn’t a curse word to us and we include it as an integral part of our planning
- QA is embedded on our development teams and are involved in projects from day one
- We’re committed to ongoing learning and have regular discussions about development concepts, tools and to share new work built by other team members.
- We regularly spend time on software maintenance, dedicating 30% of every sprint to it to ensure our code base is healthy, clean and maintainable.
- Outstanding object-oriented design, development, and coding skills are essential (3+ years of Java)
- You have at least 3 years’ experience as a developer in an agile development environment
- Excellent analytical skills utilizing Computer Science fundamentals (Data Structures / Algorithms / Design Patterns)
- You enjoy working on a dynamic, loosely structured and highly collaborative team
- You can identify flaws or weaknesses in existing code and improve it
- You take business requirements into consideration when discussing development risks and opportunities
- You’ve previously worked with the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code base and have development experience with embedded systems
- Strong Linux knowledge
- Hardware or electrical engineering knowledge
- Experience writing testable code and unit tests
- Familiarity with the EPUB format/standard
- You have a keen eye for design
Rakuten Kobo Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations for candidates with disabilities participating in the selection process are available on request. Any information received related to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
Rakuten Kobo Inc. would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this role however only qualified candidates will be shortlisted.
About Rakuten Kobo Inc.
Owned by Tokyo-based Rakuten and headquartered in Toronto, Rakuten Kobo Inc. is one of the world’s most innovative eReading services offering more than 6 million eBooks and audiobooks to millions of customers in 190 countries. Believing that consumers should have the freedom to read any book on any device, Kobo provides people with a choice when reading. Kobo offers an eReader for everyone with a wide variety of E Ink eReaders to suit any Reader’s style including Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra H2O, Clara HD, and Kobo Aura H2O; along with the company’s free top-ranking eReading and audiobook listening app for Apple® and Android®. Kobo’s award-winning eReaders can be found in major retail chains around the world. For more information, visit www.kobo.com.
We believe in rewarding our employees with competitive salaries, performance-based annual bonuses, stock options and training opportunities. For our growing Kobo families, we offer maternity/paternity leave top up, as well as time off for the non-child bearing parent.
Since 2017, Rakuten Kobo Inc. has also been the alliance' technology partner for operating, maintaining, and developing the eReading services for tolino - one of the most popular eReading platforms in Germany.
Tolino is one of the most popular eReading platforms in Germany and offers eReaders like tolino epos 2, tolino vision 5, and tolino shine 3, apps, and a cloud marketed by leading booksellers in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Netherlands, and Belgium. Since January 2017 Rakuten Kobo Inc. has been the alliance' technology partner operating, maintaining, and developing all the eReading services. For more information, visit www.mytolino.com.
*Rakuten Kobo will never ask you to pay or deposit any money as part of working with Kobo. Similarly, Kobo will never ask in an email or online for your banking information or any government information about you, such as social security information. If you encounter these fraudulent attempts, please send an email to [kobo-security]@rakuten.com with the relevant information, and do not respond to the sender. All legitimate emails from Kobo are sent only from the domain @rakuten.com. *
Rakuten Americas at a glance
Rakuten Americas focuses on E-Commerce, Curated Web, Canada, and United States. Their company has offices in San Francisco Bay Area and San Mateo. They have a very large team that's 5000+ employees.