Lead Search Engineer
The Smarter Way to Shop for Style
ShopStyle Engineering Group is searching for an experienced Senior Search Engineer in the Bay Area to lead the design and implementation of the systems that power our search engine. We need someone who is technically strong, energetic, organized, highly collaborative and passionate about search and delivering quality search experiences to our customers.
Our flagship product is the ShopStyle site. It is a frontend to a powerful search engine designed for clothing, home and lifestyle products. We maintain a catalog of over a 100 million products and seek to enhance the shopping experience for our members. We integrate natural language processing, data analysis, and business intelligence into our search algorithms to deliver features like personalized feeds, messaging, and results to our customers.
As the Senior Engineer on Search, you will own the design and implementation of our search engine. Working in collaboration with our data analysts and catalog teams, you will continually optimize the query performance, caching, and indexing of the system. With the product and business intelligence teams, you will iterate on our ML, NLP, and custom ranking algorithms to meet customer needs.
Our philosophy of bringing the very best to our customers extends to our employees, who are the driving force behind our vision. With offices in San Francisco, San Mateo, New York, Los Angeles, and London, we are passionate about our culture and are always seeking talented, creative individuals to help us change the way people shop.
- Work on world class product search, improving quality, scalability, and features
- Develop and integrate enrichment algorithms to improve search quality and value
- Extract and improve the highest value search components to support new use cases
- Improve search quality and performance by using data, metrics and analysis
- 8+ years of experience with Java, microservices, and version control systems
- 5+ years of experience with search-related technologies, such as Lucene, Elasticsearch, Spark, Solr, etc
- Working knowledge of Artificial Intelligence Learning technologies, such as NLP and ML
- Experience with large distributed systems
- BS in CS or Mathematics
- Experience with Amazon SageMaker or Amazon Personalize
- Passion for Statistics, Applied Mathematics, and solving difficult problems
Our interview process starts with a phone or video call followed by a round of interviews with engineers on the team as well as potentially meeting with product managers, designers or engineers from other teams.
Employment eligibility to work with Rakuten and its brands in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Rakuten is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Rakuten Americas at a glance
Rakuten Americas focuses on E-Commerce, Curated Web, Canada, and United States. Their company has offices in San Francisco Bay Area and San Mateo. They have a very large team that's 5000+ employees.