Director of Engineering, Web
The Smarter Way to Shop for Style
ShopStyle Engineering Group is searching for an experienced Agile Engineering Manager to lead a growing team of talented engineers based in San Francisco and London. We need someone who is technically strong, energetic, organized, highly collaborative and passionate about our product and our customers.
Our flagship product is the ShopStyle site. It is a frontend to a powerful search engine designed for clothing, home and lifestyle products. We maintain a catalog of over 20 million products and seek to enhance the shopping experience for our members. We have features such as cash back, personalized feeds, natural language processing, search & ranking algorithms and analytics driven by big data.
As Director of Engineering for Web, you will take a hands-on role leading the product development team focused on improving the experience of our members on our desktop and mobile sites. ShopStyle's desktop site is built using Angular 8+ and Node.js; the mobile site is built on Vue.js and Play. Our REST APIs are Java, search is powered by Elasticsearch, and all of it is hosted on AWS. We are on the cutting edge of web technologies, giving you the opportunity to research and integrate new tools while building innovative products.
Our philosophy of bringing the very best to our customers extends to our employees, who are the driving force behind our vision. With offices in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Wisconsin, and London, we are passionate about our culture and are always seeking talented, creative individuals to help us change the way people shop. Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Executes on long-term technology initiatives, partnering closely with the Product team.
- Responsible for delivering time-constrained projects with multiple dependencies and product owners.
- Motivates and empowers engineers to deliver on project goals.
- Fosters communication across teams.
- Provide constant feedback to engineers, mentor junior engineers.
- Work with engineers to identify career goals.
- Responsible for hiring and growing the team.
- Fosters a safe and productive work environment.
- Hands-on development.
- Masters / Bachelors in CS or Equivalent.
- 2+ years management experience with a small to medium-sized team.
- 5+ years development experience.
- Experience managing a team that used Angular or React in a production environment.
- Experience making data-driven technical decisions.
- Nice to have: Experience with SEO. Our interview process starts with a phone or video call followed by a round of interviews with engineers on the team as well as potentially meeting with product managers, designers or engineers from other teams.
Employment eligibility to work with Rakuten and its brands in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Rakuten is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Rakuten Americas at a glance
Rakuten Americas focuses on E-Commerce, Curated Web, Canada, and United States. Their company has offices in San Francisco Bay Area and San Mateo. They have a very large team that's 5000+ employees.