The Creative Director (CD) will develop original design concepts for site, app, social and tv, as well as, global marketing campaigns and digital media productions. You will oversee multiple projects from conception through execution. Leadership and motivation skills are absolutely essential for the role. We are looking for someone who can represent the Rakuten culture and standards to all levels and disciplines within the department and the company. The CD will also be responsible for managing agency relationships in all things related to creative. In this role, you will be instrumental in creating and directing work across digital, out-of-home, human resources, partnership market- ing (Golden State Warriors) and various internal projects.
The CD role requires a strong ability to manage a team of designers (art directors, digital designers, motion graphics designers, brand managers, production artists) and their assignments, take on projects yourself, and collaborate cross-functionally with other team leads (including UX). You will be responsible for the guidance, career growth, and management of your team.
You will be responsible for creating clear and compelling design proposals that can scale across all of our platforms and touchpoints, as well as maintaining consistency across all the different deliverables. The ideal candidate is a strong leader in addition to being a strong designer and conceptual thinker with experience managing teams and building strong relationships with key partners. This person must be resourceful, adaptable, creative, and results-oriented with high energy and a positive attitude. Excelling in this position will require a deep understanding of the complete consumer journey.
The CD will bring an ability to blend cutting-edge sensibility with innovative and inspiring design. You use your advanced design skills to create original design solutions and develop concepts that reflect Rakuten’s design ethos, support marketing business targets, and enhance the consumer experience. In addition, your role will help lead and guide the team to design and create flawless executions.
You will concept and execute creative assets while working cross-functionally with many teams across the organization, such as marketing, campaign execution teams, social, UX, and more. You thrive in working in a fast-paced environment, are highly organized, detail-oriented and possess strong communication and follow-up skills. You will inspire and energize the team, not only with your creativity but also with their work ethic, organizational skills and interpersonal style.
You maintain expert knowledge of current trends related to graphics, color, typography & photography. Lead and manage designers and provide design expertise for team. Collaborate with design leadership to lay the foundation for design processes, best practices and design evolution. Ensure feasibility of designs and ensure that marketing needs and deadlines are met. Ensure effective utilization of design tools and cross- functional teamwork. Effectively communicate design concepts to internal and external audiences. Create and deliver presentations of seasonal design proposals.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a design related field or extensive design related experience
• 10+ years of graphic or digital design, and demonstrated ability to apply these skills in ways that • elevate brand excellence. Rapid visualization skills. Innovative aesthetic and taste level. Excellent, • diverse portfolio exemplifying your work.
• Ability to manage a dynamic set of multiple work priorities, demands and changes.
• Lead teams across multiple disciplines, providing vision, strategic and tactical direction, design
• Experience working collaboratively with a team, cross-departmentally, & with senior leadership. • Strong management and interpersonal skills.
• Articulately present and defend creative work.
• Extremely detail oriented with exceptional follow-through skills and an ability to focus on creative
* Work collaboratively with the VP of Creative, Art Director, Brand Manager, external resources, agencies, and category leads to produce brand relevant designs and consumer experiences that reflect and elevate Rakuten’s DNA and standards.
* Help lead and guide the development of conceptual brainstorming ideas presented by design teammates.
* Communicate, articulate, present and defend design concepts and directions to various audiences, as well as executive leadership.
* Design with versatility and constantly seek new and innovative ways to design for consumer experience; graphics/photography/retail/digital. Demonstrate your design concepting, drawing/ sketching, typography, ideation, color theory, layout and digital experience.
* Art direct photo shoots and mentor designers to take on more responsibility in this area (when applicable).
* Build awareness of current innovation/technology trends through market research to anticipate consumer needs/wants.
* Review final designs. Ensure assets meet established design standards and are ready to be consumer facing.
* Resident expert on current and future trends, color, typography, photography, video, & design.
* Continuously advance process and design skills reflective of an expert design professional.
* Inspiring energy giving member of the team. Be positive and choose to be optimistic. Self start- ing attitude. Be proactive. Creatively mentor designers, provide support and guidance.
* May have responsibility for formally managing other designers including hiring, coaching and performance management.
* Lead focused conceptual stories/designs/projects.
* Proven ability to proactively work cross-departmentally. Demonstrate flexibility, organizational
* skills and the ability to multi-task. Maintain design process within Rakuten design team. Find efficiencies and be pro-active in fixing inefficiencies. Problem solve. Active participant of Rakuten Design Leadership.
* Promote continual creative improvement and actively contribute to a culture of innovation, excellence and accountability.
* Conceive and create experience-oriented design solutions that fulfill strategic business objectives.
* Direct all phases of creative work from concept through production.
Rakuten Americas at a glance
Rakuten Americas focuses on E-Commerce, Curated Web, Canada, and United States. Their company has offices in San Francisco Bay Area and San Mateo. They have a very large team that's 5000+ employees.