Principal Optical EngineerNo salary • No equity
Radiance VR, Inc., based in Charlotte, NC, is an American high-tech consumer electronics manufacturer that designs, engineers, and markets virtual reality personal computing systems.
Radiance is recruiting for a bright Optical Engineer to come onboard, and be focused & dedicated on leading virtual reality optical design initiatives. New challenges arise everyday that requires creativity and sharp problem-solving skills, as well as tenacity, courage, and the ultimate competitive spirit.
This leadership position is highly cross-functional between roles.
The summary of this role includes the invention of, design, simulation, and implementation of novel virtual reality optical solutions and light mechanisms used in virtual reality hardware. In a collaborative setting, you will need to invent, design, engineer, and patent a small scale, novel, optical system, define its specifications and test methods, implement performance evaluations, and work cross-functionally with industrial design, electrical, and mechanical engineering.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• End-to-end novel virtual reality optical system design from analysis to production
• Lead the design of novel optical solutions and oversee prototype development and production hand-off
• Brainstorm novel and patentable virtual reality optical system design concepts and executing those concepts in all phases of the development cycle, all the way to manufacturing
• Design novel and patentable optical and illumination systems for virtual reality hardware
• Physical prototype bring-up, characterization, and testing
• Select and implement optical components for the overall optical system design
• Defining optical component outlines and optical system assembly schemes
• Generate innovative design, including detailed written specifications, drawings, and tolerance analysis
• Design for manufacturing
• Conduct research on emerging technologies
• Drive new technology implementation with both internal engineering and external vendors to push on new processes and designs, enabling new optical configurations.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Master’s or above with a Bachelor’s in Optical Engineering, Optical Sciences, Opto-Electronics, or Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in optical systems design
• Previous hands-on experience designing virtual reality optical systems preferred
• Previous patents filed with the USPTO or familiarity with the patenting process preferred
• Demonstrated physical prototyping experience with optical systems
• Demonstrated hands-on experience with operating optical engineering equipment
• Demonstrated expertise in at least one optical design software package (e.g. Zemax, CODE V, LightTools, COMSOL, FRED, ASAP) is required
• Experience in both sequential and non-sequential optical design software is required
• No visa sponsorships available
Work from home policy
Radiance VR at a glance
Radiance VR focuses on Consumer Electronics. Their company has offices in Charlotte. They have a small team that's between 1-10 employees. To date, Radiance VR has raised $60K of funding; their latest round was closed on June 2019.