Our mission is to grow and share the world's knowledge.
Software Engineer - Product (Vancouver)
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people's heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
Our small engineering team works on challenging problems every day. We have a culture that's rooted in constantly learning and improving, and our engineers are encouraged to think big and experiment with new ideas. Using continuous deployment, we quickly see our changes in the product and make fast iterations. Our engineers focus on creating polished products and writing high quality code by designing APIs and abstractions that are extensible and maintainable. Everyone on the engineering team has a huge impact on our product and our company.
The Product Engineering teams focus on growth, engagement, and activation. This work includes how we distribute content to the right people, how we curate content on Quora and scale all things related to questions, and how we engage new users, writers, and readers. This also includes defining, shaping, and changing the fundamental dynamics of Quora, to create a compelling and cohesive experience for users to share and grow knowledge.
About the Role:
As a full stack product engineer on our Vancouver team, you'll be working in conjunction with our machine learning teams to scale user-facing product features to drive engagement and help the product grow. As part of a highly cross-functional development team, you'll build data-intensive applications and systems to ensure that our users experience high quality and relevant content throughout all of their interactions with Quora.
* Architect, design, and implement features that utilize our mission-critical machine learning systems at massive scale with data-driven iteration in order to create the best possible experience for our users.
* Identify high impact features that achieve engineering and product experience improvement goals, and be able to explain rationale for your decisions.
* Work with designers, fellow engineers, and data scientists to prototype and implement functionality and analyze impact.
* 3+ years of full-time product development experience building consumer or enterprise web products (internships excluded)
* Strong knowledge of backend storage systems such as MySQL, HBase, Memcached, or Redis
* Ability to think holistically about a complex, social product, and map big picture metrics to a realistic, actionable plan
* 1+ years of experience building with open-source data infrastructure technologies, such as Kafka, Airflow, and Spark
* Experience working with React
* Experience with large-scale distributed systems
* Passion for experimentation and new ideas
* Passion for Quora's mission and goals
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.